Top 5 best options for the Saints season opener

New Orleans Saints Discussion Forum
StreetBlues

Top 5 best options for the Saints season opener

Image Photo by Ric Tapia/Getty Images The NFL schedule is set to be released on May 9th. The NFL is set to release the entire 2024 schedule in a few days on Thursday, May 9th. We know all the New Orleans Saints opponents for next year, but we don’t know when they’ll play each team, so today I’m going to pick out the five games that I think would make the best season opener for the Saints 2024 season. Saints 2024 opponents: Home: Falcons, Panthers, Buccaneers, Browns, Broncos, Raiders, Rams, Commanders, Eagles Away: Falcons, Panthers, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Packers, Chiefs, Chargers, Giants 1. at Kansas City Chiefs The game I’m going to start off with is the Saints traveling to Kansas City to take on the defending Super Bowl Champion Chiefs. Would the Saints lose this game? Most likely, but wouldn’t it be fun to see the Saints play on opening night for the first time since they hosted Vikings after they won the Super Bowl? I don’t know, maybe I’m alone on this, but I’m in the mindset of, the earlier we get to see the Saints play, the better because the few days between the season opener and that first football Sunday can feel like weeks. 2. vs Denver Broncos For my second favorite potential season opener, I have the Denver Broncos, and more specifically Sean Payton, coming to the Superdome to open the season. We know the NFL like their week one storylines - we saw it a couple years ago with the Broncos traveling to Seattle for Russell Wilson’s first game in a new uniform - and this would be the perfect one for them to cook up. Sean Payton, the man who won the franchises’ first Super Bowl; the man who helped revive New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina; the man who coaches the Saints for 15 seasons, coming back to the Dome for the first time since retiring after the 2021 season. Is there a better potential week one storyline? Personally, I don’t think so. 3. vs Los Angeles Rams For my third game, I have the Los Angeles Rams coming to the Dome for a 2018 NFC Championship game rematch. Obviously, these two have met multiple times since that game, but the hatred between the two fanbases is still very real. Even with each roster basically being brand new, I think this would be a fantastic opening week matchup. The Rams would probably be the favorites in this game, but coming to the Dome on opening weekend with some of the rowdiest fans in the nation who still have the early season hopes that this team can be great is no small task, so I think it would make for a good game. 4. at Dallas Cowboys For my fourth favorite season opening matchup, I have the Saints traveling to take on the Dallas Cowboys. There are multiple reasons I have this game in the top-five. One, my dad’s a Cowboys fan, so it’s always fun to beat his team. Two, the Cowboys didn’t really make a lot of moves this offseason and seem to be pretty beatable. And three, who doesn’t want to beat America’s team in week one when all their fans are still screaming ‘THIS IS OUR YEAR’? 5. vs Atlanta Falcons I don’t really think I need to say too much about this. The Saints and the Falcons have a very, very, very heated rivalry and neither fan base nor team likes each other very much. Plus, this would be the first game since the infamous last second touchdown when the Saints were leading by multiple touchdowns and it turned into a major controversy between the players and coaching staff, so that just adds a little extra fuel to the fire.

Source: https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2 ... son-opener