Grading the Saints 2024 Draft Class

New Orleans Saints Discussion Forum
StreetBlues

Grading the Saints 2024 Draft Class

Image Photo by John Smolek/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images This was one of the Saints’ better drafts in recent years. The NFL Draft just wrapped up on Saturday, and despite not seeing any of the guys touch an NFL field yet, it seems like the New Orleans Saints did a pretty good job in this year’s draft. Now that the draft is officially over and we know all seven of the Saints picks, let’s go through each one and give them a grade based on how good I think the pick was. Taliese Fuaga: A Image Photo by Brandon Sloter/Image Of Sport/Getty Images The Saints absolutely nailed their first pick in the draft by selecting Taliese Fuaga with their first pick. Obviously, I had Joe Alt as my No. 1 rated offensive tackle, but after him, I thought Fuaga and Olu Fashanu were 2A and 2B. In his three-year college career, Fuaga played 1,500+ snaps and didn’t give up a single sack according to PFF. He earned elite pass and run blocking grades every single season and should be able to anchor down the right (or left if they decide to transition him to LT) side of their offensive line for years to come. Kool-Aid McKinstry: B+ Image Photo by Ryan Kang/Getty Images Getting a player as experienced and as talented as Kool-Aid McKinstry in the second round of the NFL Draft is very hard to do. He’s a lockdown corner who played against some of the best receivers in college football and held his own for three seasons. He was an All-American in 2022 and 2023, and without his foot injury, he would’ve been a first rounder. Now, the reason I don’t give this pick an A is because I think there were bigger needs to be addressed at the time, but it’s very hard to pass on a player of his caliber. I think they could’ve been better served drafting Jackson Powers-Johnson to sure up the interior of their offensive line, but again, I have no real issues with the pick they made here. Spencer Rattler: B Image Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty Images I know there will be a lot of debate over whether this was the right move for the Saints, but much like the McKinstry pick, it’s hard to pass on a talent like Rattler with the 150th pick in the draft. Throw away all the character concerns (even though it seems like a lot of players and coaches at SC think he’s matured a lot since arriving there two years ago) and just look at this kid’s arm talent. He can make every throw on the field and put up some solid numbers with an offensive line that was made out of paper. Were there bigger needs at the time? Certainly, they could’ve used a lot of different positions more than a quarterback, and that’s why I’m giving this pick a B-, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think he could one day be the starter for the Saints. This pick, to me at least, feels all about the potential. If he can reach his ceiling, he could be just as good as Drake Maye or any of the other QBs selected ahead of him. Bub Means: B Image Photo by Elsa/Getty Images I felt like this was the perfect time for the Saints to grab a wide receiver in this draft. Unless some elite talent fell to them in the first or second round, I didn’t think there was a big enough need to justify that early of a pick at the position. I will admit, I hardly even knew who Bub Means was when his name was called, but from the highlights I watched, I can see why the Saints like him. He plays faster than his 4.47 speed, he’s big and he has great hands. My only gripe with this pick is that I personally would’ve preferred Malik Washington, but after him, Means and Rice would’ve been my next two picks at the position. Jaylan Ford: C+ Image Photo by Chris Leduc/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images When Ford plays at his best, he’s a First-Team All-Big 12 talent, but from what I’ve seen and read about him, he’s a bit inconsistent at times. Ford’s a great run defender. He posted an 80.2 run defense grade and has 101 stops in his past two seasons, but he’s a major liability in coverage, and I think the Saints needed to find someone who’s a good coverage LB that can take over Demario’s role in a few years and compliment Pete Werner. The Saints addressed a big need here and got probably the best LB still on the board, but this was a pretty weak LB class and I’m just not completely sold on Ford, Khristian Boyd: A+ Image Photo by Chris Leduc/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images Boyd might be my favorite pick from this Saints draft class just because of where they drafted him. Using a sixth rounder on a guy who will probably see a pretty significant amount of playing time this season is very good value. The Saints obviously drafted Bryan Bresee last season, but they still could use a big, bodied run stuffer alongside him, and that’s exactly what Boyd is. In five seasons, Boyd’s run defense grade never dipped below a 75 and got as high as a 92.3 in 2022. On top of that, he posted a career-high 40 pressures and three sacks in 2023. He’s an elite run stuffer who has the capabilities of becoming a solid pass rusher as well. Josiah Ezirim: B Image Photo by Chris Leduc/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images I’m not afraid to admit that I know next to nothing about Eastern Kentucky’s right tackle, Josiah Ezirim, so I’m afraid I can’t really give a super accurate grade for him, but a B feels about right. They needed another body in the offensive line room and, according to PFF, Ezirim made major improvements to his game from 2022 to 2023. In 2022, Ezirim recorded a 62.4 pass blocking grade and a 58.3 run blocking grade. He gave up 20 pressures and three sacks in 381 pass blocking snaps. However, in 2023, Ezirim finished with an 84.3 run blocking grade and an 80.1 pass blocking grade while giving up no sacks and 13 pressures. In the seventh round, you’re just looking to find someone at a position of need who has some upside, and that’s what Ezirim brings to the table. Overall: A- I think the Saints did a lot of things very well in this draft. First, they addressed their biggest area of need in the first round without deviating from their big board too much, if at all. Second, they didn’t spend any future draft capital to move up. Third, they were able to find guys who should be impact players in day three. Fuaga and McKinstry should be day one impact players, but if they get two of their final five picks to hit, which I think they should be able to do, this draft class will be considered a major success.

Source: https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2 ... raft-class