Mac Jones opens up on disappointing 2023 season: ‘Feel like I let people down’

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Mac Jones opens up on disappointing 2023 season: ‘Feel like I let people down’

Image Photo by Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images Jones was benched for the final six games of the season. The New England Patriots knew a decision was coming on quarterback Mac Jones after the 2023 season, as the 2021 first-round pick’s fifth-year option would become available to exercise. After bringing on offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien, the hope was that Jones would rebound after a down 2022 season to make the decision one of their easiest of the offseason. The opposite occurred, as Jones was benched four times throughout the year before conceding starting quarterback duties to Bailey Zappe in Week 13. “I feel like I let people down with my play,” the quarterback shared Monday. “Definitely a lot of learning experiences. I grew as a player and a person. Didn’t go the way I wanted but I know I’ll bounce back. As Monday now marks the official start of the window where the Patriots can exercise Jones’ fifth-year option, the question now resides on whether Jones will be back with the organization at all next season. “I really love this place and have a lot of respect for this place. We’ll see how it goes,” Jones responded when asked if he’d welcome a change of scenery. “I’m going to compete regardless. I’m really happy to be in the NFL and be a quarterback in the NFL. Obviously, this year didn’t go great and I’m going to do everything I can — and have done — to get back on the right track.” Since being demoted for the end of the season, Jones continued to work as usual behind the scenes to start the track back to being a starting NFL quarterback. That consisted of being one of the first people in the building every morning while spending plenty of time in the weight room. “I feel like I made progress, especially these last couple weeks,” Jones said. “I’ve been here early, left late. A lot of people would have just said, ‘I’m done and I’m not going to do that.’ I’ve worked out hard. Put on seven to eight pounds of muscle in the last couple of weeks here. “That’s where I’m at right now, and what I’m looking for is the next opportunity. I know it’s going to come, but at the end of the day, as a quarterback and a competitor, you’ve got to be ready, right? So I’m going to be ready.” Jones’ turbulent 2023 season ended with him being inactive in the finale — serving as the team’s emergency third quarterback in the process. If that is how the former first-round pick will end his Patriots’ tenure, he is thankful for the opportunity and knows it’s now up to him to continue to compete no matter where he plays next. “I have a lot of respect for Mr. Kraft and his family, what they built here, the Patriots, and at the end of the day, a lot of that is out of my control, but I hope they realize I’m going to compete,” Jones said. “I’m going to do that wherever I’m at — on any NFL team — whether that’s here or somewhere else.”

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2024/1/8/240 ... n-reaction