Newly-claimed Patriot Marco Wilson has finally arrived in his perfect NFL situation

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Newly-claimed Patriot Marco Wilson has finally arrived in his perfect NFL situation

Image Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images The Patriots recently claimed Wilson off waivers. For a majority of his first two-and-a-half season in the NFL, Marco Wilson was playing a starter-level role in the Arizona Cardinals’ secondary. However, it became clear over the course of his 2023 campaign that he did not have a long-term future with the organization. After seeing his playing time decrease steadily between Week 7 and Week 11, he was sent to the bench for good. Wilson ended up not playing a single defensive snap over the Cardinals’ last four games, and eventually was cut earlier this week — giving the New England Patriots a chance to scoop him up through the waiver wire. For Wilson, meanwhile, joining the Patriots is an opportunity to get a much-needed change of scenery. The 24-year-old seems to be embracing it with open arms. “I was excited. I am so happy. It was one of the best things to happen to me in my entire life,” Wilson told reporters at his new locker on Friday. “I just knew what type of coaches I was going to. I knew what type of organization I was going to, and the history. That’s exactly what I’ve been looking for in my life in the NFL. So, I finally got it, I’m going to make the most out of it.” Wilson arrived in the NFL as a fourth-round selection by the Cardinals in the 2021 NFL Draft. One of the most athletic cornerbacks to enter the league in the last three decades, he quickly earned a job as a starting outside cornerback. In total, Wilson started a combined 38 regular season and playoff games over the course off his career in Arizona. He also registered three interceptions — including one returned for a touchdown — as well as three forced fumbles. However, his development seemingly started to stall in Year 3 and under a new coaching staff. Wilson himself, however, still sounds confident in his abilities to become a contributor for an NFL team. “Just a guy who’s really locked in, who’s really intentional, who has great eye control and great athleticism,” he said when asked to describe what type of player the Patriots are getting. “I look at myself as someone who doesn’t really bust, or has mental errors, and I’m pretty locked in when I’m out there. Just a real sure player, and whenever the plays come my way I’m going to make something happen.” From a Patriots point of view, claiming Wilson addresses a definitive need. While the club originally entered 2023 seemingly stacked at cornerback, the position depth chart was depleted over the course of the season to a point where Shaun Wade and another in-season waiver claim, undrafted rookie Alex Austin, were given starter reps. Wilson obviously is joining the club at the 11th hour, but he offers superior experience when compared to both Wade and Austin. He also has a high-upside skillset the Patriots already were interested in during the pre-draft process; per Wilson, he held a video call with cornerbacks coach Mike Pellegrino in 2021. Now, the two men are finally united. Wilson seems quite happy about that, and his first few practices as a member of the team. “They’ve been really great,” he said. “Trying to get used to the defense, learning the defense. The coaches have been treating me well. I’m here working. Practice has been going smoothly. Just getting used to the new system, and I’m enjoying it.”

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2023/12/29/2 ... -situation