Why Rodney Harrison deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, explained by Bill Belichick

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Why Rodney Harrison deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, explained by Bill Belichick

Image Photo by Jim Davis/The Boston Globe via Getty Images Harrison is a Hall of Fame finalist for the first time since becoming eligible. If Bill Belichick had his wish, Rodney Harrison will be announced as a member of the 2024 Pro Football Hall of Fame class in early February. The former NFL safety, who spent six seasons with the New England Patriots under Belichick, was announced as a finalist earlier this week. Harrison is among 15 modern-era players whose names are on the ballot — the first time he has advanced so far since becoming eligible in 2014. For his long-time head coach, the next step should only be a formality. On Friday, he went into great detail explaining why. “He’s just a heck of a football player. He’s one of the best I’ve ever coached,” Belichick said before starting to list attributes why Harrison would be deserving of the game’s ultimate individual honor. Competitiveness, versatility, physicality, practice demeanor, leadership, you name it — Belichick went through a laundry list of reasons in favor of the 51-year-old. Harrison originally started his career as a fifth-round draft pick by the Los Angeles Chargers in 1994, and quickly developed a reputation as one of the league’s most physical players and fiercest competitors. While his play style earned him numerous suspensions through the years and landed him on several “dirties player” lists, it also allowed him to have a 15-year career at the pro level. The final six of those were spent in New England, where Harrison arrived as a free agent in 2003. He was voted a captain in his first year with the team, and played a crucial role in the team winning back-to-back Super Bowls and going on its legendary 16-0 run in 2007. By the time he announced his retirement after the 2008 season, Harrison had appeared in a combined 199 regular season and playoff games between his stints in San Diego and New England. Along the way, he reached several statistical milestones — including becoming the first member of the 30/30 club to notch at least 30 interceptions and 30 sacks in his career. In addition, the two-time first-team All-Pro was also recognized as a member of the 50th anniversary teams in both San Diego and New England, and inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame. For Belichick, that red jacket should not remain his only one. He wants to see Harrison earn the golden jacket associated with the Pro Football Hall of Fame as well. “Every day he walked into the building, every time he stepped on the field was all positive and impressive,” Belichick said. “Certainly, I hope he gets recognized. I think he definitely deserves it.” Belichick’s full remarks about Harrison on Friday read as follows: “Best safety I’ve coached. There’s a couple other ones I’ve coached that are in the Hall of Fame. Fantastic player, person and great competitor. Could do it all. One of the most versatile players I’ve ever coached. He could cover. He really could play corner. He was a great blitzer. A great tackler. He was really hard to block in the running game, as a blitzer and on kickoff coverage. Very explosive. 220 pounds, whatever he was. He was a thumper. He was a contact player. Ran well. Very instinctive. He did a great job of disguising coverages. Worked well with his teammates, you know, with Eugene [Wilson II] and some of the different safeties we had back there through his career. He’s just a heck of a football player. He’s one of the best I’ve ever coached. I mean, he’d certainly be on my all-time team without question. Behind [Lawrence] Taylor, but he’d certainly be right up there. A tremendous player. Great practice player, too. Made everybody else on the team better. If you practiced against him, you got better or you got embarrassed, one of the two. He brought a level of competitiveness, intensity, focus. Brought a higher level of practice to the team, which helped everybody. There’s a lot of things that don’t show up in the stats or anything like that. Tremendous respect for what he did as a player. What he brought to our team. How much he meant to our team. What we lost when we lost him. We lost a great, great player. Monday through Monday. It wasn’t just on Sunday. What he brought to the team every day of the week. Every day he walked into the building. Every time he stepped on the field. Was all positive and impressive. Certainly, I hope he gets recognized, I think he definitely deserves it. This guy’s a great football player. Great teammate.”

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2023/12/29/2 ... k-patriots