Patriots News: Devin McCourty admits Patriots more at fault for Mac Jones' struggles

Latest breaking news on the New England Patriots
MadMax

Patriots News: Devin McCourty admits Patriots more at fault for Mac Jones' struggles

Devin McCourty has a deep love and appreciation for the New England Patriots organization, but he’s also fair in his critique of the team, particularly on the unfolding situation involving quarterback Mac Jones. The former legendary Patriots safety was asked who was more at fault for Jones’ struggles under center. While some have been quick to put the blame on the player, McCourty took a different route and put the onus back on the organization. “I mean, to me it’s a no brainer,” said McCourty, when appearing on “The Greg Hill Show,” via WEEI’s Mike Kadlick. “Everybody in the organization’s raved about the guy’s work ethic. How he’s there early, he’s there late. So, to me, it’s hard to just say, like, it’s his fault… I don’t think, no matter how you feel about him, I don’t think you’d walk away from the situation and say, ‘Hey, you know, this situation that they built around him was really good, and he just didn’t get the job done.’ Like, to me, there’s no way, if you’re gonna be factual, you gotta look, there’s just no way. “But I think. overall, if you say, ‘Hey, which side do you see more at fault?’ To me it’s no doubt the organization, what’s been put around him, for these straight three years.” Devin McCourty on if Mac Jones’ struggles should be attributed to himself or what the #Patriots have put around him (via @TheGregHillShow): “I mean, to me it's a no brainer. Everybody in the organization’s raved about the guy's work ethic. How he's there early, he's there late.… — Mike Kadlick (@mikekadlick) December 6, 2023 McCourty pointed to great examples of the Patriots failing Jones, including the fact that Jones has had three different offensive coordinators in the last three years, letting Jakobi Meyers walk in free agency and severely limiting Kendrick Bourne’s snaps last season. The Patriots failed to develop Jones into the quarterback they needed him to be. There have also been issues on the offensive line, which has led to both Jones and backup Bailey Zappe being sack lunches this season. Zappe was sacked five times in the 6-0 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday. Not even Patrick Mahomes could succeed with the ongoing issues in New England right now. Jones never stood a chance. Patriots QB Bailey Zappe indicates he's starting without directly saying itThis report significantly lessens odds of Mike Vrabel joining PatriotsSteelers coach Mike Tomlin heaps heavy praise on two Patriots defenders Email Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Patriots Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Patriots Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

Source: https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2023/ ... struggles/