Bailey Zappe trying to keep a low profile ahead of first start of the season

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Bailey Zappe trying to keep a low profile ahead of first start of the season

Image Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images The second-year passer is expected to start the Patriots’ game against the Chargers on Sunday. Bailey Zappe has been in this situation before, but the circumstances were different the last time he prepared to start an NFL game. Back in 2022, when he was a rookie fourth-round quarterback coming out of Western Kentucky, the New England Patriots relied on him in two games. With both starter Mac Jones and designated backup Brian Hoyer out with injury, Zappe was elevated to the starting lineup and actually performed admirably. New England won both of the games he started in rather comfortable fashion, beating the Detroit Lions 29-0 and the Cleveland Browns 38-15 (which actually is the last time a Patriots team scored more than 30 points in a single game). Along the way, Zappe completed 41 of 55 pass attempts (74.6%) for 497 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. Since then, however, a lot has happened. Not only did Mac Jones resume the starting position, Zappe himself also was cut at one point before returning to the Patriot’ active roster via the practice squad. Now heading into Week 13, he is being prepared as the starting quarterback — taking over for a struggling Jones, who he replaced in-game on four different occasions already this season. For the sophomore QB, however, the chance to start another game is not having an impact on his own preparation. Instead, he is trying to keep a low profile and focus on doing whatever his job will end up being. “I prepare every week like it’s my week, and when the time comes I’ll be ready,” Zappe said. “It’s cliché to say it, but I try to prepare every week like I’m the starter as far as watching film, studying the plays, and getting with the guys. So, for me, this week’s not any different.” Zappe filled in for Jones in losses to the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints, entering the lineup when the games were already out of hand. Then, in Week 10 against the Indianapolis Colts, something changed. After Jones threw a back-breaking red zone interception in the fourth quarter, Zappe was brought in for the game’s final drive. He did not look much better before throwing an ugly pick of his own, but the writing appeared to be on the wall: Jones’ hold of the starting job was getting looser each week. Coming out of their bye week, the Patriots gave both Jones and Zappe starter reps in practice. And while the incumbent eventually saw more action and ended up leading the team onto the field versus the New York Giants, the end result was more disappointment. So, in came Bailey Zappe again. And while he went only 9-of-14 for 54 yards with another interception, the team apparently has more trust in him now to serve as starter. “Whatever Coach [Bill] Belichick decides. I’ll do what he says,” Zappe claimed. “But if the opportunity presents itself, I’ll play and take advantage of it, do what I’m supposed to do as a quarterback, and try to help the team win as much as possible. ... “I’m sure there’s differences, but for me — as cliché as it sounds — I try to do it every week. Long hours here, come early, stay late, really doesn’t change my mindset whether I’m starting or the backup.” Zappe may be the beneficiary of a lack of alternatives behind Mac Jones, but he is trying his best to make the most of the opportunity that is currently presenting itself. More importantly, however, his focused on helping the 2-9 team finally return to the win column after four straight losses. “I’m doing whatever I can to help the team win,” Zappe said. “That’s pretty simple.” He did manage to do it the last time he started. But, again, a lot has transpired over the last 14 months that makes such an outcome far less likely this time around.

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2023/12/1/23 ... k-chargers