Rhamondre Stevenson-led running game a silver lining for Patriots’ struggling offense

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Rhamondre Stevenson-led running game a silver lining for Patriots’ struggling offense

Image Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images The third-year running back has started to hit his stride. The New England Patriots offense has among the worst in the NFL this season, in large part because of its inability to compete in the passing game. But while that crucial part of the attack has been lacking severely for most of the year, regardless if Mac Jones or Bailey Zappe lines up at quarterback, the unit has not been all bad. The Patriots’ running game, after all, has quietly developed into one of the league’s best over the last few weeks. As noted by patriots.com’s Evan Lazar, the team is ranked second in the NFL in expected points added per run play since Week 6. As with all things offensive football, there is no single reason why the group recently started to hit its stride. Instead, a combination of factors contributed to this development: the offensive line getting healthier and thus more experience together; more reliance on the ground game with the passing offense struggling; a somewhat favorable group of opponents. One of the biggest factors in all of this, however, is Rhamondre Stevenson. The third-year running back started the season off relatively slowly. Coming off a highly productive season that saw him lead the Patriots in both carries and receptions, the former fourth-round draft pick failed to hit his stride early on this year while playing behind a constantly changing O-line. He still had some solid moments throughout, but wasn’t quite on the same level as last season when he had five games of more than 100 scrimmage yards and finished with 1,461 yards total and a combined six touchdowns. Over the last three games in particular, however, he has returned to form and the numbers have started to look the part. Stevenson has now crossed the 100-yard mark in back-to-back-to-back games, reemerging as the team’s clear RB1 and one of the most productive backs in football. Together with veteran Ezekiel Elliott, he has given New England’s offense its few sparks lately. “I think O-line, me, Zeke, we’re doing a good job of just getting that going,” Stevenson told reporters on Monday. “They’re doing a good job on their double team blocks, and that’s really making a difference up front.” With the Patriots offense headed for another shakeup this offseason — a change at quarterback seems likely, especially with the team in line for a top-3 draft selection — Stevenson is one of the few players who should be considered safe. While, yes, the running back position as a whole has been devalued consistently over the last two decades, having a player like of that caliber is a valuable building block. Head coach Bill Belichick, whose own future has come into question after the Patriots’ 2-9 start, probably agrees with this assessment. Fact is, he is thinking highly of Stevenson and his abilities himself. “Mondre’s a really good football player,” Belichick told WEEI’s The Greg Hill Show on Monday. “He’s got good run skills — some of the best that we’ve had around here. Good balance, good power. Reads holes well. Just a good football player. Catches the ball well.” So far this season, Stevenson has touched the ball 184 times for 818 yards and four scores. His per-play production has dipped below 5.0 yards for the first time in his career, but he is still the most productive member on a Patriots offense lacking many of them. His role, however, extends beyond simply carrying or catching the football out of the backfield. Stevenson also has proven himself a competitive pass protector, something he is taking plenty of pride in. “Very important — just as important as running the ball and getting downhill, getting positive yards,” he said. “Me picking up blocks, I take pride in that. It’s just really me versus the guy blitzing, and I like me every time. So, just putting pride in that and just trying to execute that. I had one I could clean up a little bit, but it’s all about progression.” Despite Stevenson returning to his 2022 form, and the Patriots running the ball well over their last few games, the overall results have not been there. With the passing offense virtually non-existent behind the likes of Jones and Zappe, the offense as a whole has not stood a chance during the recent four-game losing skid. Naturally, this has left an impact on the team. Stevenson, who is one of the longest-tenured members on the offensive side of the ball, is feeling it as well. “It’s tough on everybody — the coaches, the players, the fans, everybody,” he said of the 2-9 start. “Just disappointed, but I’m never going to stop. I’ve never been a quitter in anything that I’ve done, and I hope the same for my teammates. We got a good group of guys and I think they’re going to keep their head up and stay on the gas.” So far this year, and especially over the last few games, Stevenson has done that. It’s one silver lining for a struggling offense.

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2023/11/28/2 ... ts-offense