Patriots reportedly waive quarterback Will Grier

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Patriots reportedly waive quarterback Will Grier

Image Photo by Matt Stone/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald via Getty Images Grier signed with New England in September. The New England Patriots starting quarterback for Week 12 remains a mystery, but one candidate can now be crossed off the list. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Patriots have waived quarterback Will Grier on Saturday. Patriots’ QB news: New England waived quarterback Will Grier, per source.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 25, 2023 Despite question marks under center, Grier remained the team’s third-string quarterback during practice reps - outside of the team’s lone bye week session where all three quarterbacks shared snaps. According to reports, Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe split all the starting reps in practice this week. “I came in at a tough time as far as reps go, so it was good to get some,” Grier said earlier this week. “Even the scout-team reps I get when we do scout team are good. Just good to play ball. ... If I get the opportunity, I’m just going to go play and win.” Grier signed on to New England’s active roster on Sept. 22., but failed to see any game action. The 28-year old was designated as the team’s emergency third QB seven times as he attempted to climb up the depth chart. “[Grier’s doing] a little bit better each week. Just a little more familiarity with being able to run our plays. He just hasn’t had a chance to — you know what it’s like playing quarterback. The backup quarterback, you never get enough reps as it is,” Bill Belichick explained this week on Patriots All Access. “And then the third quarterback is even less than that. And when you’re new and you haven’t been here in training camp and had the full background of OTAs and training camp and a chance really to run our core plays, it’s just a lot to catch up on.” The move now opens a spot on New England’s active roster. Belichick said Friday that it’s a “possibility” that spot goes to OT Conor McDermott, who is out of practice squad elevations. OL Riley Reiff, who was designated to return from IR last week, is also eligible to be activated. New England also has one current practice squad spot open, perhaps opening the door for them to keep Grier in the building if he clears waivers.

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2023/11/25/2 ... ier-report