Succession plan in place for Jerod Mayo to become next Patriots head coach

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Succession plan in place for Jerod Mayo to become next Patriots head coach

Image Photo by Barry Chin/The Boston Globe via Getty Images New England created a succession plan with coach Jerod Mayo. After mutually agreeing to part ways with head coach Bill Belichick, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft wanted to keep the focus on the coach’s legendary 24-year run with the organization on Thursday. But, Kraft acknowledged that the team will soon be turning the page to finding the next individual to hold the power position in Foxboro. “Until we settle what we settled yesterday and announced today, we will try to move very quickly to solve those issues and we’ll have a chance to talk about that in the very near future,” Kraft explained in the Gillette Stadium auditorium on Thursday. It seems like that plan may already be in place. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, New England created a succession plan with current linebackers coach Jerod Mayo to become the team's next coach. As Rapoport explained, that plan would allow the Patriots to avoid the lengthy requirement process of hiring a new head coach, as both sides “established a firm, contractual succession plan in a prior contract and communicated it to the NFL.” Sources: Jerod Mayo is a strong candidate to replace Bill Belichick & if he is the choice, the #Patriots could simply hire him. No need to go through the lengthy hiring process -- they established a firm, contractual succession plan in a prior contract & communicated it to the… pic.twitter.com/xZYUgEkUuC— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 11, 2024 Mayo has been deemed by many as Belichick’s potential successor, especially after a press release last year when the team announced that they were negotiating a contract to keep the coach with the franchise for the long term. With the 37-year old potentially being handed the keys, the expectation is a more collaborative approach on the football operation side of things — something Kraft alluded to on Thursday. “All of us need checks and balances in our life,” Kraft said. “We need what I call it. We need Dr. No’s around us, people to protect us from ourselves. You know, as things evolved and you get more power, sometimes people are afraid to speak up. And I’m speaking about all companies. I think it’s good to have checks and balances. And but once you have it, it’s kind of hard to pull it away and expect to have the accountability you want.” While the head coaching role may be the main focus, it will take more than one individual to replace Bill Belichick — who Kraft reiterated had control over every football decision in the building. That also means hiring a new general manager — in which they will need to follow the process of the Rooney Rule — to be a key figure in the collaborative approach. No matter who is brought in to help rebuild the football operations department, it will be done with the soul purpose of getting the team back to their winning ways. “We’re looking for someone who can help us get back to the playoffs and win,” Kraft said. “Believe me, after my family, this is really one of the two most important assets in my life. And I am very upset when we don’t win games and it carries the whole week. “So I promise you I’ll be focused to do the best I can do to make sure we’re putting ourselves in the best long term position to win for many years.”

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2024/1/11/24 ... head-coach