Fan Notes from the Patriots’ loss to the Jets

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Fan Notes from the Patriots’ loss to the Jets

Image Photo by Kathryn Riley/Getty Images Notes, musings, and observations from the New England Patriots’ 17-3 loss to the New York Jets Like people in movie theaters all across the country said as the end credits of The Flash started to roll, thank heavens it’s over. The worst New England Patriots season in decades came to an ignominious, albeit fitting, ending yesterday with a 17-3 loss to the New York Jets, snapping a 15-game winning streak against the hapless AFC East rival. The Jets were due to take one eventually, but I was hoping to go out on a high note this year. But New England did what they have done all season and couldn’t get a damn thing going on offense and this was a tough one to watch — for a lot of reasons. May as well get into it now. Well, begun is half done. 1. To begin with... I’ve been very clear in my complete understanding of the folks rooting for a higher draft pick. It’s long-term thinking and perhaps gives the Patriots the chance to once again build a winning culture. That wasn’t my own personal rooting interest this season, yet I understand if that was your perspective. 2. But — and I don’t know how profane I can get on here, seeing as how this is a family-friendly website — if you were rooting for a Patriots loss yesterday, at home, against the Jets, in the snow, in Matthew Slater’s possible last game, in Bill Belichick’s possible last game, just so New England had the opportunity to take a total blind guess at college talent in April two spots earlier than they would have otherwise, you can just piss right the hell off. Turn in your Pats Fan card at the door and don’t expect to ever get it back. I don’t think I’ve ever pulled for a meaningless last game of the season as hard as I pulled for the Patriots yesterday and I don’t think I ever will again. You aren’t really a fan of this team if you were rooting for a loss yesterday, and I will die on that hill. 3. Especially given the way this one started, with every single player on the team warming up in “Captain” hoodies with Slater’s number on it. You can now add “a sweatshirt” to “a football game,” “the ending of Rocky Balboa,” “a perfectly poured pint of Guinness,” and “The High Kings’ rendition of The Parting Glass” to the list of things I never thought would make me look like I’d just had an entire canister of pepper spray emptied directly into my face, but did. 4. That man is going to get his own article this offseason, so I’ll spare a lot of that here, but I will say this: if you want to make the argument that Matthew Slater was the second most important player on the Dynasty 2.0, you’d for sure have a case. Perennial captain, unquestioned team leader, staunch mentor, spiritual advisor, constant community man, heart and soul of the franchise, and in the conversation for greatest special teamer of all time. It’s almost lucky that they lost, otherwise there might be videos of Slater’s last locker room breakdown and I’m not sure I can handle that. 5. I’m trying to get as much positivity out into the ether as possible to start things off, because as far as games go, yesterday’s was the worst one of the season and it’s not even close. This was the third home game in 2023 — four if you count the Colts game in Germany — in which the Patriots failed to score a single touchdown. Bailey Zappe threw for 88 — yep that’s right folks, 88 — yards with two picks and seven sacks. The team’s leading receiver had 33 yards through the air, and that came on a single catch. This was an offensive performance for the ages, and I mean that in the worst possible way. 6. But wait, it gets worse! New England netted minus seven total first quarter yards, only had two drives all game longer than five plays, and four of their offensive possessions produced negative yardage. If there was a single play besides the Reagor catch that was remotely memorable in a good way, I’d like to hear it. 7. I guess you could try and count some of those double reverses and end around sweeps back to Zappe and stuff, but I couldn’t help but feel like those plays had old guy at the club vibes. Just emptying out a playbook that didn’t really have anything in it anyway and the final offensive explosion was that last failed firework at your drunk uncle’s annual 4th of July bash that he’s been talking about all day, but when he finally lights the fuse all you get is a long farting sound and a puff of smoke. 8. It wasn’t the best day defensively, especially on the ground, but given the circumstances that the D was put in, they did what they could. Having to fight in the snow with virtually no rest in between drives means that eventually you’re going to get gassed, and that’s exactly what happened. Breece Hall had himself a day and you just kind of have to tip your cap. 9. This game didn’t set international relations back decades like the Colts game did, but I can’t imagine that there was anyone outside of the most masochistic Pats and Jets fans that watched this game whistle to whistle. I used to believe that the NFL is a lot like pizza — even when it’s bad, it’s still pretty great — but after watching a few games this season I’m rethinking that. 10. Some more positives to take away:
  • I’ll for sure say that the 2023 Patriots were a likable team. They didn’t have any quit in them, and they did everything they could to try and win. But injuries and a total lack of talent are two tough obstacles to overcome.
  • This defense is in very good shape for 2024. Extend some guys, bring back Matthew Judon and Christian Gonzalez, and let’s build on a strong 2023 campaign.
  • I’d be absolutely amazed if Mac Jones was still on the team come minicamp. I can see some team trading him for a 2026 sixth-round pick or something along those lines, and maybe he’ll find some semblance of a viable career in some capacity elsewhere. He’s not a part of this team’s future. But he gave me a really, really fun season in 2021, full of optimism and excitement, and I’ll always be grateful for that.
  • I’m not sure what the future holds for Bailey Zappe, though. Definitely not a viable starter, and I don’t think anyone feels safe and secure if he’s the guy holding the clipboard behind the starting QB. But he also offered some hope early on this season and made a few absolutely beautiful throws. So, best of luck to him as well.
  • I’d like to try and bring Ezekiel Elliott back, if he’s willing and won’t cost too much. Zeke and Rhamondre Stevenson could be a formidable backfield if the offensive line can get themselves together.
  • Speaking of: I really should have spent more time this season singing David Andrews’s praises. The fact that I didn’t is probably the highest compliment I can pay the man, as we only notice offensive linemen when they’re making mistakes, but in a year in which pretty much every position along that line was in flux, Andrews was a complete rock. It sounds like he has one more season left in him, which is awesome.
11. I don’t think I have it in me right now to comment on Bill Belichick, who spent the game hooded and masked up on the sidelines like some kind of arctic ninja as the team he has helmed for almost half of my career as a Patriots fan sputtered their way to yet another loss. There will be plenty of time for that in the months ahead, one way or another, so I’m going to put off coping with that particula bag of emotions. 12. I really wish this season ended on something a little more memorable; I mean that game only ended like two hours ago as of this writing and I can’t really recall anything that the Patriots did. But I guess that’s kind of fitting; the sooner we can forget that this season ever happened, the better off we’ll all be. 13. I’m pulling very hard for the Detroit Lions in the playoffs. The Lions have been my NFC team since I first saw Barry Sanders breaking ankles back in the early 90s, and if any franchise deserves a Super Bowl, it’s them. In the AFC, I’d like to see the Buffalo Bills make a run, give the AFC East some love. But it’s Lions all the way for me. 14. And as always, I end this season’s Fan Notes (early, for the second year in a row) with a massive THANK YOU to you, the readers, and the rest of the amazing staff here at Pats Pulpit. Three-plus decades of Patriots-fandom under my belt, and I’ve been writing for this site for 13 years of them. Covering this team, rambling about the Patriots, and enjoying this community is one of my great joys as a fan, and I wouldn’t still be here if so many of you didn’t, inexplicably, resonate with what I spew out with these articles from September to January every year. As long as you’re willing to keep reading, I’m going to keep on writing, so thanks for the ride to everyone. Hopefully next year’s Fan Notes have a few more weeks in them. It’s going to be one of the wildest offseasons in Patriots history, folks. So buckle up.

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2024/1/8/240 ... servations