Patriots rookie Marte Mapu not satisfied despite first career interception

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Patriots rookie Marte Mapu not satisfied despite first career interception

Image David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports Mapu recorded his first career interception during Sunday’s loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Despite a strong spring and summer, opportunities have not always been easy to come by for New England Patriots rookie Marte Mapu. But when given a chance on Sunday, the rookie made a play that felt like it was months in the making. After a New England touchdown tied the game at 7-7 in the second quarter, Mapu made sure the momentum stayed on the home team’s sideline. As Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes dropped back to pass, Mapu read his eyes and was right there to wrestle the ball away from his check down option to record his first career interception. .@5Marte_'s first NFL INT

: FOX pic.twitter.com/6Zwi9Wlzxr— New England Patriots (@Patriots) December 17, 2023 “I just seen him going through his progression and then the play went a little bit longer than I guess their timings used too,” he explained. “So then he went to his check down and then just took the ball.” A 20-yard return then helped set up an eventual go ahead field goal for New England. While it was the rookie’s first big impact play, he was not completely satisfied. “It felt good. It just felt like I could score,” Mapu added. “Try to use my blockers, but I ain’t get in the end zone.” It’s been a challenging rookie season for the Patriots third-round draft pick, as Mapu’s playing time has decreased of late. But after totaling just eight defensive snaps the past five weeks, Mapu played 15 snaps against Kansas City on Sunday. “I mean from the beginning it’s always been a game plan team from our perspective and I just trust the coaches to put me in when I am needed,” Mapu said. “We also have great safeties, great linebackers, that have also been playing at a really high level and defense that has been playing at a high level, so I don’t really feel any way in terms of whether I am playing or not. I just want us to win.” When on the field, New England has also used the 24-year old as more of a hybrid safety instead of a linebacker — where he primarily played in college. While Mapu explained that he’s comfortable playing “wherever” the team prefers, his athleticism and ability to find the football project best at the second level, as seen on the interception. Mapu’s inconsistent playing time has also been due to the rookie being on the wrong side of several coverage busts. On Kansas City’s possession following the interception, a well designed pick route left Mapu a step behind running back Jerick McKinnon as he hauled in the go ahead score. “They’re a great offense but we hold ourselves to a high standard,” Mapu explained. “So whether it is a good play or not, you got to stop that.”

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2023/12/18/2 ... mes-chiefs