Opportunistic Anfernee Jennings has become a key cog in the Patriots’ defensive machine

New England Patriots Discussion Forum
PatNation

Opportunistic Anfernee Jennings has become a key cog in the Patriots’ defensive machine

Image Photo by Mark Alberti/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images Jennings is enjoying a breakout season in his fourth year as a pro. The first three years of Anfernee Jennings’ career in the NFL can best be described with one word: unspectacular. A former third-round draft pick out of the University of Alabama, the outside linebacker’s impact on the New England Patriots defense was limited. Appearing in 30 games primarily as a rotational option and special teamer, he registered 48 tackles, one-and-a-half sacks, and one forced fumble. Jennings was not necessarily bad, but not living up to his draft status either. As a result, him not playing a prominent part in the Patriots’ edge rotation in 2023 would not have come as a surprise. And early on in the season, he didn’t. While Jennings did manage to make the 53-man roster out of training camp again, he was a healthy scratch each of the first two weeks of the season. He was back in the lineup in Weeks 3 and 4, but continued to play more of a depth role within an edge group also featuring Matthew Judon, Jahlani Tavai, Josh Uche and second-round rookie Keion White. Judon suffering a biceps injury in that Week 4 game against Dallas, however, forced the Patriots to adapt. That process saw Jennings’ reps increase significantly: after averaging 23.5 defensive snaps over his first two games of the season, and 21.7 going back to last year, he has been on the field for 50.1 per contest since. “Being out there more, getting more of an opportunity, I’m gaining confidence each and every week,” Jennings told reporters during his first ever podium appearance earlier this week. “I’m getting more comfortable just finding the routine and sticking to it, and just trying to keep that up.” The routine Jennings has established has allowed him to play the best football of his career. in 2023. The fourth-year man has looked particularly good as an early-down defender helping the Patriot develop into the stoutest team in football versus the run; his pass rush contributions have also been solid if unsurprisingly not on the same level as Matthew Judon’s. And even though his overall numbers might not jump off the page — 1.5 sacks, 46 tackles, 1 fumble recovery — his contributions have been highly valuable. “I always felt like my career has been of opportunities,” Jennings said. “I was never, I feel like, the main guy at some point in time. I always had to work and do the stuff behind the scenes. When I got my opportunity I always tried to make the most of it and that kind of paid off for me in the long run.” Opportunity is the key word when it comes to Jennings. When he first arrived in New England, the team primarily employed him as an off-the-ball linebacker — a result of its focus on positional flexibility combined with the 2020 team having to operate without long-time starter Dont’a Hightower. As assistant coach Jerod Mayo explained, it took some time for the team to figure out how to best use Jennings. “When Anfernee first got here he was actually focusing on off-the-ball linebacker and we had to, from a coaching perspective, get him in the right spot. We feel very good about the spot he’s in now,” Mayo said. “He is a very smart player. He understands coverages. He understands how the offense is trying to attack you. He’s just an overall good player and he’s done a great job for us. Very strong, good size, all that stuff.” Jennings has naturally gotten better through the years, and with more experience in the system. However, Steve Belichick, who is basically sharing defensive coordinator duties with Mayo, pointed out that Jennings has played good football for the team before his current breakout campaign. The only problem was, again, a lack of opportunity. When Judon went down, however, a chance presented itself and he has not looked back since. “He’s played a lot of good football for us. I just think he’s had more opportunities,” Belichick said. “He gave us a lot of really good snaps last year, he’s just been playing more. He’s a consistent player; you kind of know what you’ll get. And I love his style of play, his intelligence, his awareness, all that stuff. I’m not really surprised by how he’s been playing, but I would say the more opportunities you get, the more you’re out there, the bigger the sample sizes for people to look at. “We’ve been watching him for a while, we’ve had him in the building for a while. I’m not surprised by it, but I’m happy that he’s getting recognized because he deserves it. He works hard. He’s a really good football player.” Defensive line coach DeMarcus Covington, who is working most closely with Jennings and the other edges on the roster, echoed those remarks. “Every year he’s played for us, he’s done a hell of a job of just answering the bell every week, getting better,” he said. “He’s a guy that’s better every week. He does a really good job, and he’s an important reason why our run defense has been so successful this year. “I’m just excited for him, happy for him, because he’s put in so much work. He’s done a really good job. Whatever we ask him to do, he does it well beyond the task. It’s exciting for him because that dude put in so much work. He does a really good job, he’ll do whatever, and he’s just a good leader up front for us — setting the edge, and doing a good job just getting out of blocks and making tackles.” As a consequence of all that, Jennings has been able to put himself in a good position heading into his first ever trip to free agency. With his rookie contract set to expire in mid-March, he has seemingly joined safety Kyle Dugger and offensive lineman Michael Onwenu as priority re-signings from the Patriots’ 2020 draft class. While it remains to be seen what the future holds for the 26-year-old, he has played some good football this season — good enough to be come a key cog in the Patriots’ defensive machine.

Source: https://www.patspulpit.com/2023/12/15/2 ... ts-defense