Change Happens: Let's Quantify How Much On Defense

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

Change Happens: Let's Quantify How Much On Defense

Given that things look gloomy: These guys were a part of 2-15.   Being attached to players is a part of being a fan, being a fan is questionably logical.   Don't get it twisted, Brian Burns is a loss, a part of me would love to be excited about us paying him $30 million a year and Frankie Luvu $12 million a year.  That, plus the guard signings, would be pretty crippling. But, that comes at a loss from last year's defense, leaving some awfully big holes in playing time. 
ImageSo yesterday's changes cost the team about four starters' worth.   Including still-unsigned (not lost, but not here) FAs like Jeremy Chinn, and you end up with 2.5 starters' worth extra.    Without digging too hard into the obvious - that a lot of it comes at high impact places like edge, DB - there's a lot of hole, here.  A full 5/8 of the defense, by snap count.    Some of that, sure, role-player.  But those count.   Now, if he'll stay it sounds as if they are expecting Shaq Thompson to be around, and certainly if healthy he plays a ton of snaps. Another issue is, no shit, depth.   Not as if there isn't already a starter in a lot of these places but outside of Thompson, there isn't much quality outside the (say, 30% or above) median.  Jaycee Horn should play more but don't bet the farm on it, you could always hope for Jammie Robinson to step in but, hard to say, and otherwise, the only grower would be if DJ Johnson rapidly improved or Troy Hill becomes a starter (who probably moves outside to inside for a backup who plays outside). 
You also lose a couple ST players' worth of snaps from those guys, though most of it is in Sam Franklin, Kamu Grugier-Hill, Jeremy Chinn.  Possibly cart before the horse. 
Here's the raw data: Red are lost, purple are UFA, and the one blue is re-signed.  Data comes from PFR.  I'm sure it's possible I messed up something somewhere, so notify if I did. Try to correct it.Image

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!