A Quick Morning Refresher

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

A Quick Morning Refresher

Partly to remind myself of how Carolina's been busy: It has an OL, you assume. It does not, of course, have a defense.  Last year's 4th in yards (29th points) defense will look different. First, that line: Dave Canales barked early and often about running the ball, and you'll excuse my expectation that watching Tampa Bay last year (with Canales, Harold Goodwin, Joe Gilbert) struggle to gain yardage, that it seemed like lip service.  
Well, they cut their starting C, Bradley Bozeman, and hired $153 million worth of interior OL.  Robert Hunt, Damian Lewis will be here, and they're serious guards.   Did Carolina overpay for Hunt?  Possibly.  Will they be imposing an attitude?  One would hope.  The pair of 330 lb guards, they both move well and are strong.  They both seem to fit Carolina's intended scheme, partially informed by coming from said schemes - the young, 2020 draftees from Louisiana colleges with reach, bulk, and athleticism are from the Rams and 9ers versions of the WCO with its outside zone runs.   Lewis would've been a draft pick during the time Canales and others were in the building. However, late night looking at a cutup here: You get a odd sensation. Lewis, blocking at LG to the inside of the LT/YGM: He makes a great block.  He takes Frankie Luvu's aggressiveness and pins him inside which helps bust a solid run.  Shy Tuttle steps in the wrong direction here.   But, spoiler alert, outside of Tuttle, I don't think anyone in this play will be here in 2024. Maybe Nick Thurman. Xavier Woods comes into frame at the end, I suppose. 
ImageCarolina cut Vonn Bell despite having guaranteed money on the books, the vet S being around only one year; Donte Jackson joined him. Frankie Luvu and Yetur Gross-Matos walked, Brian Burns was traded. Want to fix the OL?   You probably have to do what Carolina did - shift a lot of resources to the OL.  Want to run the ball?  Probably same, right?   So now, you have to assume that, outside of whether Austin Corbett both can be a C and can be healthy, that the OL and running game are set in.   But the defense, the defense is a little light.   And if the idea is, give Ejiro Evero the keys and let him build it, well, that's great but Ejiro won't be around forever either.   

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!