WR at 33 Gets Interesting

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

WR at 33 Gets Interesting

A bit of shock with Xavier Worthy running a historic 40, yet while recency bias rules the day, it's worth remembering that the tape matters so much.  Worthy rose based on his 4.21, Troy Franklin stood pat with a 4.41, and Keon Coleman's 4.61 might drop him significantly - yet they're all who they were last week, too.  And Coleman's 4.61 at 215 isn't necessarily damning, while both Franklin and Worthy (178, 165 respectively) are just tiny.   If 4.21 comes from specifically training for the 40, it won't be there come October.  Adonai Mitchell doing his at over 200 lbs, that's more interesting, to me. Either way, the combine wants to pull Mitchell and Worthy, both who were roughly at 30-35, up. Now, all that said, I'm opened up a bit seeing Ladd McConkey's 4.39. That is fast for the prototypical slot. He's very technical, 
Meanwhile, the free agent class has contracted a bit, with Mike Evans staying (Evans was not going to come to Carolina because of Dave Canales but I could have at least dreamed he would stop cooking our corners twice a year) and Tee Higgins being tagged.  Michael Pittman seems to also be staying.Now, I don't know that it would have made sense to shovel all the money to one guy, but chances are as the market contracts, the big money will go to the next guy. So that leaves someone out there talking themselves into giving a lot of money to Calvin Ridley or Harquise Brown. Or even, Curtis Samuel.  Oddly, Samuel's four years in Carolina had him scoring more than he did in three in Washington. But he learned how to get his catch percentage up a bit, being somewhat reliable.   But it feels like back-tracking. Which then leaves some unsexy but workmanlike guys - Tyler Boyd and Gabe Davis. Boyd is a reliable receiver but he lives in the slot, where Carolina oughta keep Adam Thielen; Davis has some outside size, he's produced in the end zone, but he hasn't been much of a volume receiver.   Davis represents value if they could get what the Bills had but also make more of shorter targets. Now, that'd be a selling point for anyone, wouldn't it? If you could get double the receptions out of anyone you'd get more yards, and so on.  Right now, Davis, as a second option at WR, is averaging 7 scores a year, but 40 receptions a year.   If you're wanting to build an X to fit against the bunch, maybe.  
So, don't know. And others will want a WR, there's no doubt, they scout too.  They have needs, too.   As has been the case in games, Carolina's playing from behind right now. 

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!