Samir Suleiman Will Interview

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

Samir Suleiman Will Interview

Along with Dan Morgan, add Samir Suleiman to the GM list. Suleiman is well considered in the building, he fits the analytic and cap profile that most of the other candidates are.   There's clearly a concerted effort to close the gap on putting too many eggs in one basket, in the way that might see a team, for instance, sign a QB to a big deal, trade for two QBs, trade up for a QB, and trade up for a QB an order of magnitude more expensively, all in the timeframe of four total years. But one issue is that some of that comes with whether the resources are spent on the right players (scouting), as much as whether you put those resources in the right position. Now, you can argue there are several ways to construct a team (if you didn't you wouldn't be reading this, would you?).  Is a cap man who doesn't background himself as a scout a better GM than a scouting-based GM?  Is it about the team in general?  And I don't know.   If you copy what someone else does without then looking at whether that fits you, or if you understand why, it's hard to say.   If the input is random the output will be, too. Now, the idea that a lot of these guys are football administration and/or cap and/or allocation resource guys, is interesting.   Then the question is, how can you also possibly close the gap on the scouting side?   Carolina's been dogshit awful at that.   It's not just "should you trade up for a MLB after you've traded up for a QB who might fit the current scheme but probably won't fit anything else" but also that those guys were both really, really risky. And they were done without the allure of 2021's variety of chips to flood the board.  It's fine to take fliers in 2021 if you have the ability to do it with 11 picks.   When you have five, you can't take a bunch of guys with no instincts you're hoping will project to value or just that you like them because of size and speed. 
So then one concern of mine is that Morgan and Suleiman were both around for the current shenanigans. Do I want to have them around?  Absolutely.  Is it respectful to interview them both and, if it works out that they're the best scenario, hire one?   100%.  But is it a hard sell, to me, to say "this guy, who was around to watch the last guy burn it all down and build it back poorly, the right guy to hold the fire extinguisher?  Should I give this guy matches?"  I do think a high level value to (not scouting) GM prospects, though, is it's different than being a guy who stands around, watches a prospect work out, having the owner also do so and have a big opinion.  An analytic guy can say, "well, your opinion is great and I understand where you're coming from, but the numbers say, don't fall in love with anybody, take the value." Then it's up to the owner to be able to listen, but it might be a lighter landing spot than, say, whether you have better eyes than the owner.  So far that hasn't worked. 

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!