Coach Names Released

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

Coach Names Released

Carolina threw up some names for coaches and GMs last night - here are the coaches: 
  • Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson
  • Texans offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik
  • Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan
  • Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn
  • Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald
  • Dolphins offensive coordinator Frank Smith
  • Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris
  • Ravens offensive coordinator Todd Monken
  • Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dave Canales
We've covered Johnson a few times - here this year, here last year  - and he was Carolina's favorite both times, it seemed. I did Slowik December 9, and MacDonald December 8th. That I took time while I didn't want to write to discuss either, yeah, feel strongly about them.  MacDonald's at least as interesting now, since a former mentor in Don Martindale is leaving the Giants. 
There's a surprising omission or two - no Jim Harbaugh, and you can't discuss Bill Belichick if he's not available.   There's no Brian Johnson, there was a lot of chatter that the Eagles OC was liked in the building.  

Brian Callahan
's not a name I had up, the Bengals OC has gotten some heat on his name after the Bengals survived the Joe Burrow injury.   The Bengals were 8th in yards, 7th in points in 2022, their best year.  He's been OC for five years under Zac Taylor, so he's a guy that Andy Dalton could speak on; he was QBs coach under Jim Caldwell so Caldwell could speak on him, too.   Callahan is not related to Bill Callahan, the famed OL coach and former Raiders/Nebraska coach.   He started out as a coaching assistant with the Broncos and filled that role 2010-2015, getting him between the Josh McDaniels, John Fox, and start of the Gary Kubiak bit.  He did a year as QBs coach for Jon Gruden in Oakland after his two years with Jim Caldwell in Detroit. 
Under Zac Taylor, he has absorbed some of the Sean McVay bits, so there would be overlap. 

Dan Quinn
- The closest that the team looked into Quinn last year was discussing the DC job with Marquand Manuel, formerly a DBs coach.with Quinn, now the S coach.  Quinn is interesting on defense but his OC hire would matter a ton; last year, the chatter was, he and Brian Schottenheimer were a package deal.  I do not want Schottenheimer.   There's a tie to interim GM Dan Morgan.  I'm not that enthused by Quinn, but I get it. 

Frank Smith
- did time under Sean Payton, was Bears TEs coach under John Fox and OCs Adam Gase, Dowell Loggains; interesting to note that he was around under the Vic Fangio era that spawned eventual Chargers coach Brandon Staley, and possibly available former Eagles DC Sean Desai.   Loggains, OC at South Carolina, would also be around. The Dolphins have a big staff and you'd hope a few guys could be borrowed. Smith, OC under Mike McDaniel for two years, isn't play-caller at Miami, but implements the system while McDaniel calls it - and is called McDaniel's chief engineer.  There's an aptitude there, and the NFLPA had him as the top OC in the league (as was Callahan, and Carolina OC Thomas Brown oddly). 
Raheem Morris is an interesting one I wasn't expecting.  He was a good assistant - Bucs, Washington, Falcons, Rams.  There's overlap between the Evero defense and this one, including some former Rams working here.  But he was .356 as a head coach of the Bucs.He was around with current OC Thomas Brown and some of the Ejiro Evero guys, but that said this isn't one where Evero would likely stay. And Brown didn't do such an incredible job either, unless he was a non-caller OC for a good O guy.  Morris isn't that. 

Todd Monken
- The Ravens OC was a pretty good OC in the Bucs days, did a great job as Georgia OC, and revitalized the Ravens. His 2019 Cleveland days under Freddie Kitchens wasn't as good.  I'm really interested in what he could do here - and if Don Martindale would be interested in showing up with him. A lot of the guys from the Bucs days are available, hard to say Evero would stay, a DC hire would be big either way. Are people going to go head over heels for hiring Dirk Koetter as an assistant? 

Dave Canales - since there weren't enough Bucs on this list already, OC Dave Canales is there.   23rd yards and 20th points on O, and a one year OC.  He has a significant Seattle background - coaching since 2010, which lines up with Dan Morgan to a point - Canales was a third-tier assistant through 2014, WRs 2015-17 and QBs 2018-19; passing game coordinator in 2020-2021 and back to QBs in '22, before going to Tampa. 
This feels either a buddy interview, or they see something I don't. 

Two former head coaches, who are on defense, and the rest O, and excluding Monken, younger.  I feel like, from this view, the O has to be the thing that gets fixed harder, but again whoever the candidate can go get as his opposing coordinator, all the better. 

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!