"Run" Prompted Legette Trade

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

"Run" Prompted Legette Trade

Carolina might've been concerned that WRs were starting to go off the board and their late presser last night suggests it. Can't argue that, Xavier Legette was the 7th taken in 32 picks.  Supposedly, Buffalo also coveted Legette but, not too much as they traded from 28, to 32, to 33 and watched a pair of WRs go in those picks (and with Ricky Pearsall going at 31).  Now, I don't adore the value on Legette but Pearsall was generally considered lower than Legette in many circles (all of them generally lower than Adonai Mitchell, still on the board).   Carolina wanted this guy and paid to do so. Now, that's fine. But, that's also shopping really hungry.  The trade up to 32 as has been pointed out also gives you the 5th year option so if you're taking him at 33 anyway - you probably really like Legette. Fair enough.   I'm just supposing, if your board is good, and it should be, otherwise waiting one pick - even the full eight to 39 - is OK!  I'd argue, your board was probably telling you Jackson Powers-Johnson and you took Legette based on the concern of WRs going.  If you assume a WR goes at 32 - even if it were Legette - a good one would and probably still will be there at 39.  One of those teams - AZ - has also already taken a WR. If the argument is, the 5th year bit has a lot of value, and it does, doesn't it also have value for a C? I can't put myself into the shoes of anyone else, and I have no idea if they like JPJ more but ignored it; they might think he wasn't as good, I can't say for sure.  They may think, backup C at 33?  Are you kidding?  Fair!  Hell, backup anything is going to be at 39 right now.  No one is guaranteed a thing.   The only thing I know is that the assumed order of things, wasn't how it went, and that doesn't make it wrong or right.    Some love this pick, some hate it, and I generally don't care about that - I like the player a lot, I worried they'd take him too high and they absolutely did.  And this rant is just about that last bit.  Carolina's behind the curve on talent, and won't get caught up with trades-up, reaches, or falling in love.   I hope Legette catches a hundred balls a year, I hope he takes on the sacrilege of beating Steve Smith's franchise marks and then goes after Jerry Rice's all time stats.  The logic says, you follow your board, you trust your work, and so far I haven't seen it.   I've seen big eyes shopping hungry.

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!