GM Scott Fitterer Fired

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

GM Scott Fitterer Fired

Carolina's fired Scott Fitterer, the GM lasting three years. 
As GM, 14-37.*  Worst in the NFL over the time span he was around. 
What seemed like a great 2021 draft - lots of talent, not all expected to work, but still good stock you assumed - petered out, and constant rebuilds and trade-ups hindered from there.  That he couldn't get a contract with Brian Burns, didn't help.  He spent pretty big in this past offseason as well, and there's really not much to show for that. At all. 
He was well liked, you could argue that his ability to control things was often at the whim of either the coach or the owner, depending on the time, but the job isn't done and I'd argue things are worse than when he showed up.  It couldn't get much worse, and if not for the Steve Wilks era, it would approach historically bad. 
There are fewer rules on the GM side than head coach - you can interview pretty much anybody as of today, but you can't hire an assistant GM to be anything less than GM.  You have to interview minority candidates, you have to get permission.  Otherwise, the field is open. 
And Carolina has a GM and coach opening at the same time in forever.  They didn't fire Marty Hurney in 2010, so I'm stretching that number back to 2002.  21 years?   Even then, Hurney was a continuity candidate from within the building heading into 2002. I don't know they really interviewed anyone else for GM. 

*If you're wondering, the 2018 and on stretch of owner David Tepper stretches to  31-59.

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!