Olu Fashanu calls joining NY Jets a ‘fairy tale’

New York Jets Discussion Forum
MeanGreen

Olu Fashanu calls joining NY Jets a ‘fairy tale’

ImageThe New York Jets’ newest player is ecstatic about playing with Tyron Smith The New York Jets’ 2024 first-round pick had a chance to speak to the media on Thursday night. At his post-draft press conference, Olu Fashanu spoke about his experiences with the Jets in the pre-draft process and what he is looking forward to in the upcoming season. The Penn State product said the Jets “definitely” showed interest during the pre-draft process. “Honestly, I think they did a good job disguising it,” per Jets X-Factor’s Robby Sabo. “It didn’t seem like any more than any other team showed interest. I didn’t want to say it throughout the process, but after taking that (top) 30 visit and the combine, it was the obvious place for me.” The newest New York #Jets player, OT Olu Fashanu, just told the media that he thought the Jets did a good job (sort of) "disguising" their interest in him. He also used the word "fairytale" when asked about playing with Tyron Smith, and also says he feels comfortable at RT. — Robby Sabo (@RobbySabo) April 26, 2024 When asked about learning from Tyron Smith at left tackle, Fashanu said he feels like he is living a “fairy tale.” “He was the first player I ever watched, watching film as a tackle. I didn’t start playing football until I was a freshman in high school. At the time, he was the absolute standard at left tackle,” said Fashanu. Just call him “Big Smile Olu.” #Jets pic.twitter.com/Bto2lQdEIS — Robby Sabo (@RobbySabo) April 26, 2024 “For me, getting to watch years upon years of him and now having this great opportunity to learn with him, to learn any bits of advice that he has for me, what more could I ask for?” As a player, Fashanu said he brings “toughness, grit, and consistency” to the Jets. He also added that he feels he is a great locker room guy in addition to his on-field performance. Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers welcomed Fashanu on X (formerly Twitter) in a post congratulating him on his draft-day selection. Awesome moment ❤️. Welcome @olu_fashanu 🛩️ # https://t.co/DtufWmSWGE — Aaron Rodgers (@AaronRodgers12) April 26, 2024 Fashanu, while not in line to start immediately, is a great short- and long-term piece for the Jets on the offensive line. In the short term, the Penn State product can learn behind Tyron Smith and develop as a player, gaining the strength and technique necessary to thrive in the NFL. Additionally, Fashanu can step in and provide great depth in his rookie season. While not an overwhelming run blocker, Fashanu is a highly talented pass blocker – one of the best in the 2024 class. In the long term, the Jets likely have their left tackle of the future. Fashanu will be able to combine a high pass-blocking floor with an untapped ceiling to potentially become one of the best left tackles in football. He may not have been viewed as the most likely target going into Thursday, but Fashanu is poised to show Jets fans that the team made the right choice in the 2024 NFL draft. Next Article: Relax, NY Jets fans: Fashanu is a better win-now pick than Bowers  FOR MORE AT JETS X-FACTOR, VISIT/SUBSCRIBE AT: Olu Fashanu calls joining NY Jets a ‘fairy tale’ | Jets X-Factor

Source: https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/04/26/ny-j ... airy-tale/