Cowboys' Tyler Smith: 'Only going to get better' at guard, ready for shift to tackle if needed

Latest news on the Dallas Cowboys
DrRage

Cowboys' Tyler Smith: 'Only going to get better' at guard, ready for shift to tackle if needed

Tyler Smith has finally gone on the record regarding which position he’ll occupy for the Cowboys in 2024. But don’t expect the offensive lineman’s comments to provide much in the way of clarity. The team’s first-round draft pick in 2022 played left tackle in his rookie season, filling in more than admirably for the injured Tyron Smith and even staying there once the elder Smith was able to return late in the year. But the Tulsa product was moved inside to guard last season, where he promptly turned in a Pro Bowl campaign and earned second-team All-Pro honors. Now with Tyron Smith in New York and a slew of talented O-line prospects (including a lot of top-tier tackles) waiting to hear their names called in the upcoming draft, exactly where the just-turned-23-year-old will line up next has been a topic of much discussion and debate in Dallas. Moving Smith yet again wouldn’t seem to be optimal, especially considering how well he performed at guard. But he was drafted as the Cowboys’ left tackle of the future, after all… and now the Tyronless future is suddenly here. Team owner Jerry Jones has indeed left that door open thus far this offseason, recently saying the Fort Worth native could “potentially” turn into “a great player at left tackle” and calling him the team’s “working option” there. An offer for Cowboys fans For the best local Austin news, sports, entertainment and culture coverage, subscribe to the Austin American-Statesman. $1 for 3 months So what does Smith himself say? Cowboys backup offensive lineman and teammate Brock Hoffman asked him that on a new episode of Hoffman’s podcast, The 8th Round. “I know you’re willing to do whatever it takes for us to win a championship, right, whether that’s tackle or guard,” Hoffman led with before asking, “What do you feel more comfortable with?” The 320-pounder showed some fleet footwork in his cover-all-bases answer. “I’ll say this, guys. I’m coming off an extremely good year at guard over this past year. And only going to get better,” Smith answered. Will it be tackle or guard? Either way @Tee_sizzle_ will be ready Image Episode 6 Dropping this afternoonImage #DallasCowboys pic.twitter.com/P6k7UyVIkp — The8thRound (@The8thRound_) April 12, 2024 “I’m feeling really comfortable at guard. I kind of like how the continuity is right now. You already prefaced this; I’m willing to do whatever it takes, y’all. And I’m able to do whatever it takes. So we’ll see what the future holds, obviously stay ready for anything. But for right now, I’m the starting left guard of the Dallas Cowboys.” It’s a simple but spectacular response from the young man that shows his willingness to be as flexible as the team needs him to be. Thankfully, he’s already shown that he has the skills to do either job at a very high level. And his openness to either position gives the front office total freedom to look at all available options in the draft and even explore different combinations once a camp roster has been assembled. Smith didn’t really answer any questions about where he’ll play in 2024. But his answer to the question that was asked should nevertheless leave fans feeling optimistic about what they’ll get from the rising star this season… whether it’s at tackle or guard. Micah Parsons lobbying to be Cowboys' kickoff returnerCowboys TE Jake Ferguson poised to top 2023's Pro Bowl productionCowboys 2024 pass protection expectations currently bottom-5 in NFL "(function() {var sc = document.createElement(\"script\"), scCnter = document.getElementById(\"container-sdp-voltax-player-01eqbvhghtkmz2182d-5027\"), done = false;sc.src = mm_video_data.endpointUrl + \"\/01eqbvhghtkmz2182d.js\";sc.onload = sc.onreadystatechange = function() {if(!done && (!this.readyState || this.readyState == \"loaded\" || this.readyState == \"complete\")) {sdpVoltax[\"01eqbvhghtkmz2182d-5027\"].initializePlayer( {\"id\":\"01hv7hqqytqm8x7j1bxb\",\"playlist_id\":\"01eqbwens7sctqdrqg\",\"player_id\":\"01eqbvhghtkmz2182d\",\"type\":\"video\",\"image\":\"https:\\\/\\\/images2.minutemediacdn.com\\\/image\\\/upload\\\/video\\\/thumbnail\\\/mmplus\\\/01hv7hqqytqm8x7j1bxb\\\/01hv7hqqytqm8x7j1bxb-7bd860b98343e739f605c636f6cd86fc.jpg\",\"container_id\":\"01eqbvhghtkmz2182d-5027\"});done = true; sc.onload = sc.onreadystatechange = null; }};scCnter.appendChild(sc);})();"var sdpVoltax = window.sdpVoltax || []; sdpVoltax["01eqbvhghtkmz2182d-5027"] = sdpVoltaxPlayerHandler().start("01eqbvhghtkmz2182d-5027"); Email Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Cowboys Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Cowboys Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2024/0 ... kle-guard/