Commanders GM Adam Peters 'putting on a masterclass' on how to build a roster

Latest breaking news on the Washington Commanders
DrRage

Commanders GM Adam Peters 'putting on a masterclass' on how to build a roster

When he arrived in January, new Washington general manager Adam Peters was deemed the savior. As the Commanders’ first actual GM since Charley Casserly in 1999, Peters chose Washington over numerous other opportunities. Two months into his reign atop the organization, Peters is showing everyone why some considered him the NFL’s premier talent evaluator. Since the NFL’s legal tampering period opened on Monday, the Commanders signed or agreed to terms with 14 external free agents and re-signed three players. Peters has taken advantage of Washington’s NFL-leading cap space to improve a 4-13 roster. And he’s doing it without sacrificing the franchise’s long-term future while hoping to lift the Commanders into contention as soon as 2024. Several around the NFL have praised Peters for his work in flipping Washington’s roster, including former NFL player Shaun O’Hara of the NFL Network. “Can we get a golf clap right now going for Adam Peters,” O’Hara said on “Good Morning Football.” First-year GM, my man is putting on a masterclass right now on how to rebuild a culture. How to rebuild a roster. He did a great job at the running back position, we’re seeing Austin Ekeler right now, not just getting the production alone, but they got him for peanuts, two years, $8 million. You see what’s going on in the running back market right now. And they got the Guitar Hero right now on sale. So, I think the production alone from Austin Ekeler, 44 touchdowns over the last three seasons combined, Commanders’ running backs have had 13 touchdowns combined the last two seasons. This is instant offense. I love bringing (Tyler) Biadasz, the center from Dallas. I love (Nick) Allegreti, the guard from the Chiefs.” O’Hara was even more impressed with Peters’ work on the defense. “And then defensively, look at this overhaul right now,” he said. “I think when you look at the way Dan Quinn has pilfered some of the talent from Dallas, getting Dante Fowler, that’s huge. Getting Dorance Armstrong, had a really productive season last year. Guys that know his system. And then, of course, you mentioned Bobby Wagner earlier on. You got a captain, another defensive coordinator on the field.” His favorite signing? Frankie Luvu. “The guy that is kind of flying under the radar for me, and when they signed him, I’m like nobody knows about this dude, Frankie Luvu,” O’Hara said. “But not a lot of people watched the Carolina Panthers play last year. But this dude was dominant. He was phenomenal. He led the team in tackles, he’s one of the best rush linebackers in the NFL right now. You try to block him with a running back, he’s going to bowl them over.” O’Hara closed by saying that Washington is doing everything right, building around the future quarterback who will come in next month’s NFL draft. The Commanders had over 20 free agents and, thus far, have only re-signed three. Washington still likely isn’t done, as it needs an offensive tackle and cornerback. Email Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Commanders Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Commanders Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/202 ... ee-agency/