Colts News: Colts make S Julian Blackmon re-signing official

Latest breaking new on the Indianapolis Colts
Colt4Life

Colts News: Colts make S Julian Blackmon re-signing official

On Tuesday, the Colts made the re-signing of safety Julian Blackmon official, announcing that he was returning to the team. Julian BACKmon pic.twitter.com/N9OBAwT2A3 — Indianapolis Colts (@Colts) April 9, 2024 Blackmon put together a career year in 2023, coming away with four interceptions, two pass breakups, and holding pass-catchers to just 11.8 yards per catch. He’s been a very sound tackler, missing fewer than eight percent of his attempts over the last two seasons, and was among the best at the safety position in run-stop rate during the 2023 season. After spending the majority of his playing time as a free safety during his first three seasons, Blackmon spent most of his time in the box last year. “It just fits my role better, it fits my personalty better,” Blackmon said of playing in the box via Colts.com. “I’m more of a talkative person, I like to be around the ball and I like the take the ball away, and so that strong safety position in this defense, specifically, is more of that role. For me, it was kind of easy to move over there and start making those plays.” This is a move that brings some much-needed stability to the safety position for the Colts. Presumably, Blackmon will reassume his strong safety duties with Nick Cross and Rodney Thomas battling for the starting free safety role this summer. While this re-signing stabilizes the position for 2024, safety still remains a need heading into the NFL Draft. With Blackmon only returning on a one-year deal, a failure to further address this need could have the Colts in a similar situation next offseason. Unfortunately, this isn’t a very deep safety class. Blackmon’s one-year deal is worth up to $7.7 million and includes $3.2 million guaranteed, according to Ian Rapoport. Blackmon was a 2020 third-round pick by the Colts, who tested the free agency waters this offseason. Among the teams he reportedly visited with before re-signing with the Colts included San Francisco and Buffalo.
Email

Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Colts Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Colts Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

Source: https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/ ... -official/