Colts News: 2024 NFL Draft: 5 Trade down scenarios for Colts

Latest breaking new on the Indianapolis Colts
Colt4Life

Colts News: 2024 NFL Draft: 5 Trade down scenarios for Colts

If the Colts were to trade down in the first round of the upcoming NFL Draft, what would that return look like? How much in additional draft capital could they gain?In an effort to find those answers, I utilized the trade value chart for this exercise and put together five scenarios where the Colts move back from the 15th overall pick to help get an idea of what a deal could look like. But first, let’s take a closer look at the trade value chart since it plays such an important role in this process.The chart was a concept developed by Jimmy Johnson when he was the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in the 1990s. In short, each draft pick, from the first to the last, is assigned a quantitative value to help determine whether a trade is fair or not, with the goal for both parties being to exchange draft capital that is as close to equal in total value as possible. Over time, other teams have put their own spin on it and new models have been generated. But, by and large, the concept and the purpose of the chart remains the same. To see the full trade chart and to learn more about it, click here.For the Colts in this year’s draft, more than likely they probably stay put at pick 15. However, they do have just seven total draft picks, with only four teams having fewer, and rank 21st in total draft capital value. So moving down would be a way for them to gain some additional picks, and potentially one within the top 100 depending on how far they are willing to drop down the draft board.During Chris Ballard’s time as GM, he has shown a willingness to move around and has often preferred to move back rather than up.One scenario where I could see the Colts moving back is if Quinyon Mitchell and Terrion Arnold – the top cornerbacks in this class – were both off the board at pick 15. With how deep the cornerback and receiver classes are, the Colts could trade down and still likely address those needs. Nate Wiggins, Cooper DeJean, and Kool-Aid McKinstry are names that come to mind at cornerback along with Brian Thomas Jr. at receiver. Moving back from pick 15 – depending on how the draft played out at that point – could still provide the Colts with the opportunity to add at edge rusher as well. UCLA’s Laiatu Latu and Florida State’s Jared Verse are two players to keep your eyes on. Essentially, if Ballard feels he has options, then the odds of him moving back will increase.In trying to determine what was a fair trade for the Colts and in an effort to make this exercise as realistic as possible, it was my goal to make the trades below as equal as I could from a quantitative perspective. As always, there will be other variables in play in real time as Ballard and other GMs make these decisions.

Source: https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/20 ... for-colts/