Despite Division Crown, Buccaneers are in a rebuilding mode

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

Despite Division Crown, Buccaneers are in a rebuilding mode

Despite the current South Division talent level, competition is getting better. One would think, looking in from the outside, that the Bucs’ third consecutive division crown would signal the team is in great shape. In reality, Bucs’ fans should be well aware that it’s the current success rate, or lack thereof, in the South Division of its members that has allowed a mediocre team to take the division for the third time in a row. So many fans act like we should all not complain but celebrate our situation. While I’m glad we get to hang another banner/flag in Ray-Jay, it rings so very hollow and empty in my ears. The truth is that Atlanta is full of talent and getting a new coach. The Saints, with Carr, started to click better towards the end of the season. Carolina is very young and has some budding young stars and a new coach on the way. Tampa, without a stellar 2024 draft (as the Rams had in 2023, more on this later), will continue its backward slide. The mismanagement of recent draft picks is also a negative (see Kyle Trask, Sean Tucker, Mike Edwards, and others). “Rebuild” is not a dirty word. The drafting of Kyle Trask in the second round a few seasons ago was the first signal that the team had its eye on preparing for a rebuild. All moves to that point were all about the present state of championships at the time. One Buc has treated any mention of the word rebuild as being a falsehood and not where the team stands over the last couple of seasons. This team is not a few players away from another title like it was when Brady signed up and brought Gronk with him. The offensive line is young and learning to play together. Mike Evans is probably gone because of salary cap mismanagement by Jason Licht. LaVonte David’s career is almost done. Devin White has disappeared, and he may be moving on as well. Carlton Davis III is overrated and gets burned too often. The only player recently added past the D-Line that offers any stardom is Winfield (a beast). There’s no doubt that Evans and Winfield are Licht’s best selections over his time here. Jason Licht is a man of extremes. He has a Super Bowl to his credit. He has had some great picks in the draft, along with some doozies. One of his worst habits is drafting players and then allowing the head coach and himself to forget about them — not giving them many (if any) reps with the starters in the regular season. Several players have left the team through free agency and found success elsewhere because they were given more starting time. When you can name more busts than success, it’s time for the GM to go, in my opinion. When you are as far away from being competitive with upper-level playoff teams as this team is, it’s time to face the facts. Your team is in a rebuilding mode. You build towards a Super Bowl. Then you lose free agents, and the team falls back into another cycle of building back towards the Super Bowl. That’s where the Buccaneers are at — admitting it or not doesn’t change the facts. Don’t get me wrong. A stellar 2024 draft class could change everything. I’m very happy that the Bucs eventually handled the cards they were dealt. They won the division, and under any circumstances, that is a good thing. I’m just trying to be realistic in analyzing where the team is truly situated in relation to the entire NFL. I could try to blow smoke up your, you know where. I prefer to keep it real. After saying all that, the Bucs are closer than a lot of teams are in being better than good again. The team is one draft away, a stellar draft class from being pretty good again, a threat. The Rams have been on the decline since their Lombardi Trophy. Then came the 2023 draft, where the team went out and drafted a franchise running back, receiver, and at least two very strong defenders. Most hadn’t heard of any of them coming out of college. The Rams, though, believed and started all of them from day one. They all flourished, and the Rams are relevant again and a threat in the playoffs — not just there for easy fodder. Does Jason Licht have it in him to pull a draft class like that? Chances are he doesn’t, but anything is possible, and I’m hoping he can do that. If not, just sit back and relax; this team is rebuilding. Enjoy the ride. Go Bucs!     The post Despite Division Crown, Buccaneers are in a rebuilding mode appeared first on Bucs Life.

https://bucslifemedia.com/2024/01/27/de ... ding-mode/
GO RAMS!