Will Bucs’ Auburn Pipeline Continue In The 2024 Draft?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

Will Bucs’ Auburn Pipeline Continue In The 2024 Draft?

In recent years, the Bucs have built pipelines of players from certain colleges in the Draft, and they’ve used those pipelines to build the core of their team. The University of Washington comes to mind, with a slew of players coming from out west, while Iowa has seen an important group come in. But the Bucs have also built a foundation with a particular SEC school as well with the Auburn Tigers. A defensive-minded team orchestrated by Todd Bowles has three players on the unit in very important roles. For many years, cornerbacks and Auburn alums Carlton Davis and Jamel Dean have been a staple on the outside for the Bucs’ defense. Then, emerging at the end of the 2023 season while taking over at starting inside linebacker was fellow Tiger K.J. Britt, who surprised many with good performance after good performance once he got a shot to start. Could These Auburn Players Go To The Bucs? ImageBucs DT Marcus Harris – Photo by: USA Today Pewter Report is in Mobile, Alabama this week for the Senior Bowl to see who might just be the next draft picks by the Bucs. There also happen to be four Auburn players at the Senior Bowl this year in defensive lineman Marcus Harris, safety Jaylin Simpson and cornerbacks Nehemiah Pritchett and DJ James. The Bucs could be looking for a defensive tackle as many of their players from this latest season are free agents. They definitely will be looking at safety after Ryan Neal didn’t work out and Tampa Bay could upgrade over Kaevon Merriweather. Ironically, Tampa Bay might just need a corner as well if Davis becomes a cap casualty. Could another Auburn player take his place? Looking around the NFL, there are plenty of Auburn players on many different teams. Regardless of how the school has played in recent years, the Tigers are well represented at the next level. “I just feel like the hard work we put in the orbit and the responsibility we have coming,” Harris said in response to why we happen to see so many Auburn products in the league. “Auburn is a football family and a football school, it’s not just a football school but a big part of the school. Just having a chip on our shoulder, bringing it to this level trying to have our team represented the right way.” One of the main standouts from day one of practice at the Senior Bowl was Simpson, who had a very nice pass breakup against Kansas State tight end Ben Sinnott. .@AuburnFootball S Jaylin Simpson (@jaylinsimp) with an outstanding PBU on this ball intended for Ben Sinnott. 10/10 for the celebration too. #TheDraftStartsInMOBILE pic.twitter.com/mdBuhw1IVQ — PewterReport 🏴‍☠️ (@PewterReport) January 30, 2024 Familiarity With Tampa Bay And Its Auburn Players In regards to the Bucs’ situation, Simpson is aware of the larger amount of Auburn players who happen to reside in Tampa. They may have come before him within the Tigers’ program, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t impacted by the legacy they left behind. ImageAuburn Safety Jaylin Simpson – Photo by: USA Today “I’ve heard stories about Carlton. I saw Dean when I was coming on visits,” Simpson said. “I don’t really know much about them, but I do know they played in the era of Auburn when Auburn was like a real tough defense. So, I feel like, I didn’t play with them, but the players that I did play with before me — what they taught me came from them. So that’s pretty much all I know, I know they’re real Auburn DBs. They talk about stories about them and all of that.” An enticing reason to play for the Bucs is that defenders know that they’re going to play for a defensive-minded group. Harris, who was a big part of the dominance by the defensive line in the American Team practices, found the idea cool if he were able to play in Tampa. Harris could connect with the Auburn guys who have helped contribute to the defense. “It’d be cool,” Harris said. “They have a defensive minded coach in coach (Todd) Bowles, it would just be cool to end up with a defensive minded coach and being with those guys from Auburn, we can talk about our different stories from our time at Auburn. It would be amazing to play there with those guys.” The post Will Bucs’ Auburn Pipeline Continue In The 2024 Draft? appeared first on Pewter Report.

https://www.pewterreport.com/will-bucs- ... 024-draft/