Cedric Gray Is A Leader – And Could Be One For The Bucs

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

Cedric Gray Is A Leader – And Could Be One For The Bucs

The inside linebacker position for the Bucs could use some new life this offseason. With Devin White all but certain to depart in free agency, Tampa Bay could use another starter – and potential leader – on defense. One way the team could go about this is the NFL Draft, where it could find a young, athletic linebacker who would be able to learn from the timeless Lavonte David. That’s where North Carolina’s Cedric Gray could work his way into the mix. Gray is coming off two highly productive seasons of patrolling the middle of the Tar Heels’ defense and filling up the stat sheet in the process. After the first two days of Senior Bowl practices, Pewter Report caught up with the linebacker to ask him about his best traits, which inside linebackers he watches tape of, and how he fills the leadership role on defense. Who knows, maybe Gray could fill it on a Bucs defense packed with plenty of young talent – and uncertainty at the position. Cedric Gray Shares His Best Attributes Cedric Gray has definite NFL size at 6-foot-2 and 235 pounds, and scouting reports list his strengths as having plus athleticism and range. When asked what his best traits are, Gray mentioned how he can cover a lot of ground. ILB Cedric Gray @UNCFootball on what his best attribute is as a player.#PewterReport #GoBucs #BucsFootball #SeniorBowl #TheDraftStartsInMOBILE pic.twitter.com/MNlE9IyF7F — PewterReport 🏴‍☠️ (@PewterReport) January 30, 2024 “I think I’m just a sideline-to-sideline type of linebacker,” Gray said. “Very rangy, I feel like I can run a lot of players down and different things like that. I’d say that’s my best attribute.” ImageNorth Carolina ILB Eric Gray – Photo by: USA Today That was considered Devin White’s best attribute as a player at one point. It was something White flashed, but he could not put it together consistently enough over the last couple of years. That is where Gray could differentiate himself. In 2022, he had 145 total tackles (12 for a loss) in 14 games and added three forced fumbles and two interceptions. Last season, he added to his big numbers by recording 121 total tackles (11 for a loss) in 12 games while adding five sacks, two forced fumbles, and an interception. He demonstrated that he can impact a game in a lot of ways, and last year showed off his chops as a blitzer. But he is more than someone who can tackle. Per Pro Football Focus, his highest grade in 2023 was in coverage with a 78.3 mark. Watching his film, his ability to drop into coverage and hang with his assignments is something that stood out. It is no coincidence that his favorite linebacker to watch is someone who has been elite in that regard since entering the NFL. “My favorite player as of lately is Fred Warner for the San Francisco 49ers,” Gray added. “That goes without saying, he’s probably the best linebacker in the game. I feel like we have similar body types, so I kind of try to model my game after him a little bit. Another guy I am a big fan of is Zaire Franklin from the Indianapolis Colts. I really just kind of became a fan of him this past year [learning] about him and the way that he’s played. He’s definitely made some plays.” Not only did Gray mention Warner and Franklin, but he also took the time to talk about an inside linebacker who he has watched plenty of. That inside linebacker has been the backbone of the Bucs defense for a decade-plus and is still going strong – Lavonte David. ILB Cedric Gray @UNCFootball has watched #Bucs Lavonte David and said that “he’s definitely been a great linebacker in this league for a long time.” Gray also spoke on improving his blitzing and coverage skills.#PewterReport #GoBucs #SeniorBowl #TheDraftStartsInMOBILE pic.twitter.com/jegjFUkBxU — PewterReport 🏴‍☠️ (@PewterReport) January 31, 2024 Cedric Gray Embraces Being A Defensive Leader ImageNorth Carolina LB Cedric Gray Photo by: USA Today What stood out just as much as the plays Cedric Gray made in his collegiate career  was the leadership and motor he put on display. At the inside linebacker position, that is paramount. As evidenced by the Bucs, that position is an energy source. The Lavonte David or K.J. Britt-type who breaks down the huddle before the game. The role has to be filled by someone who can’t be afraid to step up and be the glue that holds the rest of the unit together. Gray sees it no different. “I feel as if I’m a leader,” Gray said. “As a linebacker in this game, I feel like we’re the leaders of the defense. That’s something that I possess trying to get the defense set and different things like that. Just communicating, talking, and really running the show. Making sure everybody is in the spots so we can go out there and play fast and just let our athleticism take over.” What Could Cedric Gray Improve On? While Cedric Gray plays fast, one aspect of his game that he will need to improve upon as he enters the league is cutting down on his missed tackles. While he made a lot of them in college, Gray also missed 57 total tackles in his career. In 2023, his missed tackle percentage was 14.6% per PFF, which is higher than you would like for someone who is supposed to be a sure-tackler. In addition to that, he tackles at a higher pad level. That leads to some missed chances and ball carriers are more likely to break from his grasp. For as quick as he is, Gray also can over-pursue players he is trying to chase down. These parts of his game can be refined, and with more polish and development, he could be a starting option down the line. At the moment, Gray profiles as a Day 3 player who could be a fourth or fifth-round option for the Bucs. With the rest of the week having a chance to show off in front of scouts, Gray is looking to build on his success and show that he can be someone who can make a great impact on the gridiron. “I want to exit the Senior Bowl with general managers, coaches, and scouts having their eyes on me,” Gray said in a recent interview with The Draft Network. “I want them to believe that I can be a force in this league.”
https://www.youtube.com/embed/hnzjOjVdy ... ure=oembed
  The post Cedric Gray Is A Leader – And Could Be One For The Bucs appeared first on Pewter Report.

https://www.pewterreport.com/cedric-gra ... -for-bucs/