Top Senior Bowl Centers Admire Bucs’ Ryan Jensen

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

Top Senior Bowl Centers Admire Bucs’ Ryan Jensen

Bucs center Ryan Jensen played the game at the very highest level for nearly a decade, which is why it’s no surprise that top Senior Bowl centers admire him — and model their games after him. ImageOregon C Jackson Powers-Johnson – Photo by: USA Today One of those top Senior Bowl centers is Oregon’s Jackson Powers-Johnson, who shared his admiration of Ryan Jensen in an interview with The Draft Network’s Justin Melo earlier this year. When asked which current NFL center he would compare himself to, Powers-Johnson picked “Big Red.” “I would choose Ryan Jensen,” Powers-Johnson said. “I would probably say him because we both have similar body types. We both play the game with a mean streak. We’re both very physical. I’ve admired him for a while now. I had an opportunity to meet him a few years ago. He’s a guy I look up to. I love studying his film.” After being a standout performer on day one of Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Alabama, the 6-foot-3, 334-pounder was asked about his appreciation of the Bucs’ former Pro Bowl center. “Just how he plays, how passionate he plays on the field,” Powers-Johnson told Pewter Report’s Josh Queipo after Tuesday’s practice. “I think I play with that same type of passion.” Powers-Johnson suffered a hamstring injury during Monday’s practice and tried to play through it, but re-injured it on Tuesday. The Oregon center is projected to be a possible late first-round selection, and could be of serious interest to the Bucs, who have the No. 26 overall pick. ImageBucs C Ryan Jensen – Photo by: Cliff Welch/PR Another Senior Bowl center who shares Powers-Johnson’s respect for Jensen is West Virginia’s Zach Frazier. The 6-foot-2, 314-pound center was injured late in the Mountaineers’ 2023 season finale and isn’t cleared to practice in Mobile, Ala. this week, though he was seen snapping before Tuesday’s practice and is on the road to recovery. Frazier spent the week doing pre-draft interviews with NFL teams. In an interview with Pewter Report, Frazier was asked who he models his game after and, of course, Tampa Bay fans who enjoyed watching No. 62 will love his answer. “I like people that are physical and like to finish plays,” Frazier said. “So I like watching Ryan Jensen. I think he’s a good finisher. I like watching those guys that put people on the ground.” Bucs Still Looking For Ryan Jensen’s Long-Term Successor — Maybe At The Senior Bowl Ryan Jensen, of course, has been missing from action for the Bucs over the last two seasons. He suffered a devastating knee injury during training camp ahead of the 2022 season and while he managed to make it back for the playoff loss to Dallas to end that season and looked on track to return for 2023, he was unable to do so. And, unfortunately, the former Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion has likely played his last down of football for the Bucs and in the NFL. He is set to become a post-June 1 cut, as that will maximize Tampa Bay’s salary cap savings. ImageBucs C Ryan Jensen – Photo by: Cliff Welch/PR That means general manager Jason Licht needs to find the offensive line’s long-term Ryan Jensen replacement. Robert Hainsey, a 2021 third-round pick, has filled in admirably over the last two seasons, but he’s heading into the final year of his rookie contract in 2024 and the Bucs could use an upgrade over him. Does that mean Licht needs to mine for a Senior Bowl center like Powers-Johnson or Frazier? Maybe. He could also look to free agency or keep it in-house, with the possibility of 2023 second-round pick Cody Mauch shifting from guard to center. Whichever route Licht and the Bucs decide to take, they at least have a good core to work with on the offensive line. Three-time Pro Bowl selection Tristan Wirfs will continue to hold things down at left tackle for a long time to come, while 2022 second-round pick Luke Goedeke is under contract for two more years and has the right tackle job locked up. Add in Mauch and there’s plenty to work with. The Bucs just need their anchor in the middle of the line, and perhaps one of those admirers of Jensen at the Senior Bowl will find themselves with a chance to be his successor in Tampa Bay. The post Top Senior Bowl Centers Admire Bucs’ Ryan Jensen appeared first on Pewter Report.

https://www.pewterreport.com/top-senior ... an-jensen/