Rob Gronkowski: Bucs Found Their QB In Baker Mayfield

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

Rob Gronkowski: Bucs Found Their QB In Baker Mayfield

Former Bucs tight end Rob Gronkowski loved catching passes and scoring touchdowns from Tom Brady in New England and in Tampa Bay during his Hall of Fame career. But he’s really liked what he’s seen from Baker Mayfield, Brady’s replacement at quarterback this season. After signing a one-year, prove-it deal initially worth $4 million with some bonus money, Mayfield had a career season in his first year in Tampa Bay. He passed for 4,044 yards, 28 touchdowns and just 10 interceptions while starting all 17 games for the Bucs. That’s enough for Gronkowski to believe that Mayfield should be the long-term starter in Tampa Bay. Gronkowski talked about how the Bucs should offer Mayfield a contract extension in a recent interview with Kay Adams on the Up And Adams show. Has Tampa found their Tom Brady replacement??? 👀@RobGronkowski says @bakermayfield is THAT dude for the @Buccaneers @heykayadams pic.twitter.com/WPJZJLWwXk — Up & Adams (@UpAndAdamsShow) January 10, 2024 “I’ve been with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for quite some time and I think they’re going to sign him to a long-term deal because it’s going to be a team-friendly deal as well,” Gronkowski said. “I don’t think he’s going to, you know, expect to get the contract of $50 million-plus at quarterback, but I think they can sign him to a team-friendly deal – whatever the range is – and then build a strong team from there.” Rob Gronkowski Has Seen Baker Mayfield Put Up Big Numbers For Bucs ImageBucs QB Baker Mayfield – Photo by: Cliff Welch/PR That was the first time Baker Mayfield has passed for 4,000 yards in his career, and his 28 TDs were two more than his previous high of 26 in 2020. Tom Brady threw for 4,694 yards with just 25 touchdowns and nine picks last season – in his lone season in Tampa Bay not throwing to Rob Gronkowski, who retired prior to the 2022 season. More importantly for the Bucs, Mayfield led the team to a third-straight NFC South title and the second playoff berth of his own six-year career. That should earn him a contract in the neighborhood of Geno Smith’s three-year, $75 million deal in Seattle last year. Mayfield has a playoff win over Pittsburgh under his belt from his 2020 season in Cleveland. Now he’ll get another opportunity to get a postseason victory over Philadelphia on Monday night when the Bucs take on the Eagles in a home Wild Card game. “From the first time I got here. Just seeing the pieces that we had, if we could put it all together…You’re looking at it and saying, ‘Alright, we have the pieces that we need,” Mayfield said. “If we can put it together and string a few games together, we’ll see where it goes.’ “We started fast, had that midseason lull. [With our] backs against the wall, we got back to the same form we were in in preseason – everybody counting us out and [we were] leaning on each other and counting on each other. That’s where we’ve been so far at the end of the year. Right now is no time to change your mindset. We’ve been in this one-game-at-a-time mentality for a while now. Now, it’s real. It’s win or go home.” ImageBucs QB Baker Mayfield – Photo by: USA Today Despite his great season full of remarkable individual accomplishments, Mayfield hasn’t spent the time to reflect on it yet. “Not really,” Mayfield said. “Those are all great things – I’m not going to not acknowledge it, at least, but our goal is much bigger than just winning the division and for me to have a great year. We expected that within this building. We’re in the playoffs now, so it’s singular focus on the Eagles. It becomes real when you see a lot of the changes that are happening – not in your own building – and knowing that we’re in a scenario that not many people get to experience. For this organization to do it three years in a row winning the division, it’s pretty special. It comes back to the small things. Teams in the playoffs don’t beat themselves – that’s really what it is. There [are] some plays that they’re making – really special plays – but most of the time it’s not beating yourself, taking care of the ball, playing penalty free, for the most part. It goes back to a hyper focus.” The post Rob Gronkowski: Bucs Found Their QB In Baker Mayfield appeared first on Pewter Report.

Source: https://www.pewterreport.com/baker-mayf ... ronkowski/