Michael Penix Jr.: Tampa “Means Everything”

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

Michael Penix Jr.: Tampa “Means Everything”

Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. has been a much talked about player in the Bucs community. Some fans really want him, while others don’t want the Bucs to consider drafting him at all. The rest would like him selected only if it’s in the right round, such as the second or third round. Penix is an exciting prospect as he was a Heisman Trophy finalist and led the previously undefeated Huskies to the national championship game. But for Bucs fans, his appeal is just as much about his upbringing as a Tampa local. Growing up in Dade City, Florida, Michael Penix Jr. moved to Tampa and played for Tampa Bay Tech for his junior and senior seasons. In that time his production was off the charts as he threw for 4,243 yards with 61 touchdowns to just five interceptions. He and the Tampa Bay Tech Titans reached compiled a 20-4 regular record in those two seasons, making the class 7A regional semifinals when Penix was a junior and reaching the regional finals the next year as a senior before his college run. Although Michael Penix Jr. then began his college career with Indiana until he found fame and prestige with Washington, to this day he’s all about where he came from. Tampa means a great deal to him. “It’s home,” Penix said when speaking at the Senior Bowl. “It’s home. I’m originally from Dade City, Florida, 30 minutes north of Tampa. I moved out to Tampa my last two years of high school. Man, that’s home. It’s still home and it means everything. That’s where I grew up, that’s where I came from. This is my background and its going to be on my forever. I got it tatted on me. It’s always going to be.” #Washington QB and Tampa native Michael Penix Jr. on what the city of Tampa means to him: “It means everything to me. That’s where I grew up, that’s where I came from. It’s my background, I’m going to have it on me forever. I got it tatted on me.” #SeniorBowl #Bucs #NFLDraft pic.twitter.com/NIqpzqyVME — PewterReport 🏴‍☠️ (@PewterReport) January 31, 2024 Would Michael Penix Jr. To The Bucs Make Sense? ImageWashington QB Michael Penix Jr. – Photo by: USA Today A reunion between Michael Penix Jr. and the city of Tampa would certainly generate a lot of buzz, but is it possible? Let’s be honest, the situation with the Bucs offense was quite murky up until Friday morning. It finally seems like the Bucs have found their offensive coordinator as they are working on hiring former Kentucky and Rams offensive coordinator Liam Coen. Because Coen was with the Rams in 2022, it does seem to make it a little easier to re-sign Baker Mayfield given that he’s played with Coen before and his offense is similar to what Dave Canales was running. Yet what if another team, such as the Falcons or Vikings, overpays just to get Mayfield on their roster? There is no guarantee that he’s returning, as much as he loves Tampa. Until all of this is settled, the possibility of Mayfield coming back to the Bucs is still up in the air. That opens the door for Penix, the left-handed quarterback, who was just voted the top QB on the National Team at the Senior Bowl, to be on the Bucs’ radar. And even if Mayfield is re-signed in free agency, the Bucs could draft Penix and allow him a few seasons to develop like Jordan Love did behind Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. The environment of having a new-look offense to work with such, as the Bucs’ situation, doesn’t appeal to everyone. But Michael Penix Jr. believes he can thrive in it. ImageMichael Penix Jr. Senior Bowl – photo by: USA Today “I don’t really see too many offenses being difficult to pick up,” Penix Jr. said. “It’s about the way you prepare and the amount of studying that you do. If you’re willing to put in the extra work to be able to be successful, you’ll do it and it’ll come easy, especially with those guys coaching. They make sure you’re prepared to the level to where it’s hard for you to fail. As long as you’re prepared and you just trust the coaching, I feel like you’ll be fine.” Depending on who you ask or which draft website you visit, Penix is viewed anywhere from being a first-round to a third-round pick in the draft. He had a great senior season for the Huskies that was capped off with a fantastic college football playoff win against Texas, throwing to three NFL-caliber receivers in Rome Odunze, Ja’Lynn Polk and Jalen McMillan. But the loss to Michigan in the national championship game pointed out some of his flaws. Penix actually had a bit of an inconsistent week at the Senior Bowl, which continues to make his draft status fluctuate. The Bucs can’t afford to take him in the first round as they have other needs, but if he’s available in rounds two or three, he could be a target if the Mayfield situation doesn’t work out. Penix has a strong arm and good accuracy that many teams would love to have at quarterback. But there is also concern about his injury history with two knee injuries and two shoulder injuries, and his ability to handle pressure in the pocket. Michael Penix Jr. Has Overcome Plenty Of Adversity
Battling a ton of adversity, Michael Penix Jr. tore his ACL on two separate occasions at Indiana in 2018 and again in 2020. He transferred to Washington in December of 2021 and revived his career. Penix burst onto the scene with the Huskies in the 2022 season, passing for 4,641 yards with 31 touchdowns and only eight interceptions. ImageWashington QB Michael Penix Jr. – Photo by: USA Today He followed that up with an better year in 2023 that put him as a highly touted college football player. He improved as a senior, completing 65.4% of his passes for 4,903 yards with 36 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions, and was a Heisman Trophy finalist. Penix and Washington won the final Pac-12 championship and the Sugar Bowl in the college football playoffs before a disappointing end in the national championship game. Penix has battled quite a bit of adversity in his college football journey, but is ready to forge ahead to a successful pro career. “That’s why I always say I don’t take back anything that I’ve been through,” Michael Penix Jr. said. “I’ve been through a lot of injuries, it was tough at times, but I do feel like it all prepared me and built me into the person and the player I am today because being through that much adversity, especially at a young age, it taught me a lot. It taught me patience, it taught me love for the game, how much I love the game. In those times it can get tough, but I knew I was never going to hang the cleats up and I’m going to continue to keep going.” Penix would love to keep his successful career going in a place that he knows better than most. The question is if Penix and Tampa are a good match. That’s for Bucs general manager Jason Licht and head coach Todd Bowles to decide. The post Michael Penix Jr.: Tampa “Means Everything” appeared first on Pewter Report.

https://www.pewterreport.com/michael-pe ... verything/