Baker Mayfield Reacts To Liam Coen As Bucs’ OC

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

Baker Mayfield Reacts To Liam Coen As Bucs’ OC

With the news of Liam Coen being the Bucs’ expected offensive coordinator hire, quarterback Baker Mayfield discussed Coen further at the 2024 Pro Bowl Games in Orlando, Florida. Mayfield is familiar with him as they both were together with the Rams in 2022. Mayfield had plenty to say about his time with Coen and if he was consulted during the team’s interview process. Baker Mayfield Says Liam Coen Is A “Great Guy” Trading in a Bucs hat and red and pewter for proper Pro Bowl attire, Baker Mayfield spoke with the media at the 2024 Pro Bowl Games before the NFC team practiced. With the news of Liam Coen’s anticipated hire being reported earlier Friday morning, that was the main topic of discussion. Mayfield first spoke on his time with Coen during his brief stint as the Rams starting quarterback. ImageBucs QB Baker Mayfield at the 2024 Pro Bowl – Photo by: Adam Slivon/PR “I think out of all the guys they interviewed – of the names I saw – a lot of good options,” Mayfield said on the Bucs’ offensive coordinator search. “It’s kind of hard, I don’t understand how that thought process goes, but obviously, I got to work with Liam in [Los Angeles]. Great guy, a really great guy. “If they lock that down for sure it’s a similar system – same system, just some different terminology and how he wants to call things. There’s something to say about that, with continuity within the offense for the skill guys and the offensive line. It’s important to have.” Throughout Tampa Bay’s search for a new offensive play-caller, getting someone familiar with Mayfield was a theme with many of the candidates. Of the ones that popped up on the team’s radar, Coen, Jake Peetz, and Zac Robinson all were on the Rams’ coaching staff in 2022, while Alex Van Pelt was his offensive coordinator in Cleveland from 2020-2021. With all of the connections Mayfield had to the offensive coordinators the team put in interview requests for and interviewed, how much was he consulted on it? “Just mostly, ‘Is he a good guy?’ Mayfield added. “[Things] here and there, but they do enough of their own research. They don’t need to hear it from me.” With Mayfield one of – if not the most crucial – free-agent fish to fry for the Bucs, getting someone who has worked with him is an important first step to securing his services as Tampa Bay’s quarterback for 2024 and beyond. Baker Mayfield Loves The System He Played In With The Rams, Liam Coen With Liam Coen expected to succeed Dave Canales, Baker Mayfield spoke on the similarities of both systems. If something can be gleaned from what he said, it’s that he is a fan of Coen and loves how he approaches and gameplans the offense for success. ImageRams QB Baker Mayfield and OC Liam Coen – Photo by: USA Today “I think he’s straightforward,” Mayfield said of Coen. “I love the system, obviously going to [Los Angeles] and then playing under Dave [Canales] in a similar system, I love how it’s called. Just the approach of how the run sets up the pass, different things like that. “There are a lot of integral parts – you can give different complex looks to trick a defense, but Liam’s smart in how he wants to approach it. He’s got the mindset and he’s a hard worker. He’s really passionate about it and that energy, guys feed off that.” Mayfield is known for being a fiery guy and as the captain and leader with the Bucs, he set a lot of the offensive identity as it played around his skillset. His personality meshed well with Dave Canales as they went 9-8 together, and he spoke on how he gets along with who could potentially be his offensive coordinator next season. “We’re pretty similar,” Mayfield said on his relationship with Coen. “He may not be as outgoing as I am, but he’s definitely fiery.” Looking ahead to free agency, Baker Mayfield’s future with the Bucs will come down to a couple of factors. Can the band get back together when it comes to re-signing key players? Will the team offer him a contract that outdoes others in what is always a Wild Wild West quarterback market? These questions and numerous others will begin to be answered soon. But looking at how things stand as of now, Liam Coen’s hire bodes well in not just keeping Baker Mayfield in Tampa Bay, but also in continuing and building from the success the offense had this past season. The post Baker Mayfield Reacts To Liam Coen As Bucs’ OC appeared first on Pewter Report.

https://www.pewterreport.com/baker-mayf ... s-bucs-oc/