Breaking down Super Wild Card Weekend, plus best bets and picks for Steelers at Bills and Eagles at Buccaneers

Open Discussion on NFL News & Other Teams
TheFan
Site Admin

Breaking down Super Wild Card Weekend, plus best bets and picks for Steelers at Bills and Eagles at Buccaneers

Welcome to the Monday edition of the Pick Six newsletter!

I'm going to make today's newsletter as dramatic as possible since we didn't really get any drama over the weekend. There were four games played and only one of them went down to the wire. Although we got stuck with three blowouts, I actually thought it was a solid weekend of football.

In a span of 36 hours, we saw:

Two favorites get blown out in Texas (Browns and Cowboys).
The fourth-coldest game in NFL history (Chiefs over Dolphins).
The Lions won their first playoff game in 32 years.
Also, we saw two teams score at least 45 points, which hasn't happened twice in a single playoff round since 2009.
And let's not forget, we saw two of the most efficient QB performances of ALL-TIME. Both Jordan Love and C.J. Stroud finished with a QB rating of 157.2, which means they are now tied for the fourth-highest QB rating in a playoff game in NFL history.
We'll be covering all of that, plus more in today's newsletter, so let's get to the rundown.

As always, here's your weekly reminder to tell all your friends to sign up for the Pick Six newsletter. To get your friends to sign up, all you have to do is click here and then share this link with them. Getting your friends signed up is a great way to help them start 2024 off on the right foot.

1. Today's show: Biggest questions after the first four games of the wild-card round

If I fall asleep while writing the newsletter today, it's because I haven't slept in two days. I stayed up way too late to celebrate my birthday on Saturday and then I stayed up way too late again last night to record a podcast with Will Brinson and Ryan Wilson.

The three of us touched on our biggest takeaways from Super Bowl Wild Card Weekend. Here are a few of the biggest questions that we tried to answer:

Will Mike McCarthy get fired? After watching the Cowboys suffer a total meltdown in the playoffs, Brinson and I are both convinced that McCarthy is going to get canned (Wilson thinks Jerry Jones will keep him around). McCarthy has definitely proven that he's good enough to get the Cowboys to the playoffs, but it's hard to see him winning a Super Bowl in Dallas. Jones is 81 and he's going to want to hire someone who can win him a Super Bowl ASAP, and I can think of one former Patriots coach who might fit that Bill.
How far can the Texans go? There were two shockers in Texas. Not only did the Cowboys get beat down in Dallas, but we also saw the Texans pull off an upset against the Browns. The Texans will either play the Chiefs or the Ravens in the divisional round and I think they're good enough to beat either team. The Texans kind of remind me of the 2021 Bengals: A team with a good QB that came out of nowhere to make the Super Bowl.

Did the Chiefs finally flip the switch? It seems kind of impossible to believe that the defending Super Bowl champion could be overlooked heading into the playoffs, but that seems to be the case with the Chiefs. Although they struggled through parts of the regular season, they dominated the Dolphins on Saturday night and they now look like a legitimate threat to win the AFC. This team has more postseason experience than anyone and as long as they have Patrick Mahomes, they feel like a team that can win it all.
We recorded two shows over the weekend and you can listen to our Saturday show here where we covered Houston's win over Cleveland and Kansas City's win over Miami. If you want to listen to our recap show that covered Sunday's games, you can do that here. You can also watch each of those episodes on YouTube: The Saturday recap is here and the Sunday recap is here.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brea ... uccaneers/
Visit All Our Forums - Over 160 Sports Forums