Bucs QB Baker Mayfield Talks Eagles Matchup With Rich Eisen

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

Bucs QB Baker Mayfield Talks Eagles Matchup With Rich Eisen

It’s been quite the ride to get into the playoffs, and for Baker Mayfield, it is the latest adventure for him in the NFL. Mayfield guided the Bucs to a 9-8 regular-season record and an NFC South division title. Now the Bucs get their shot to face the Eagles in the Super Wild Card round on Monday Night Football. Before kickoff, he joined The Rich Eisen Show to discuss his mindset for the game and shared more about his path to where he is now— suiting up for a playoff game for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Baker Mayfield On Bucs: “We’ve Improved A Lot” The Bucs have come a long way in finding out what kind of football team they are on Sundays. If anything has been proven by them this season, they are not one to quit when things get tough. That is a credit to the team and culture that general manager Jason Licht and head coach Todd Bowles have built. ImageBucs QB Baker Mayfield and HC Todd Bowles – Photo by: USA Today One that has Baker Mayfield guiding the offense and leading the team. From Week 3 up to their Wild Card matchup now against the Eagles, the Bucs have been battle-tested. Through the season, they have an identity as a resilient team that is not going to back down from whoever they are playing. “We played them really early in the season when we were still offensively trying to figure out who we were,” Mayfield said on The Rich Eisen Show. “Not really knowing our identity, scheme-wise, what we were going to be good at. We’ve improved a lot. [The Eagles] are still a great ballclub, they still have the front that’s one of the best in the league, so we got to know how to attack. Got to be aware of certain guys on the edge and upfront and just take care of the ball.” For Mayfield himself, he was given one last opportunity to be an NFL starter again with the Bucs. When asked about how he helped lead a team that was counted out by most to the playoffs, he shared that the group of guys in the locker room is special. “Just another opportunity for me to have fun playing football again was a blessing in itself,” Mayfield added. “But then to be able to come here and be surrounded by this locker room — it’s a special group. You know how I am, nobody really gave us a chance in the beginning, but division champs again and got a chance in the playoffs. We’ve been improving at the right time of the year and we just wanted a chance to get in to see what we could do in the playoffs.” Baker Mayfield “Is Having Fun Playing Football Again” After getting traded from the Browns, released from the Panthers after they traded for him, and having a brief stint with the Rams late last season, it was far from likely that Baker Mayfield would be the full-time starting quarterback of a playoff team again. But here he is, coming off a career year with the Bucs where he threw for 4,044 passing yards and 28 touchdowns to 10 interceptions. Perhaps Tampa Bay has found their guy at quarterback. ImageBucs QB Baker Mayfield – Photo by: USA Today Not only has he had the chance to thrive this season throwing to Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and others, but he has had every chance to do what he does best. Play his brand of football and lead by example. “For me, it was getting an opportunity to play in a stable organization,” Mayfield said about joining the Bucs as a free agent back in March. “From the very beginning, I said this a lot to our local people, they’ve empowered me to be the best version of myself. That’s all I can truly ask for. “That even goes back to pre-draft stuff, knowing Todd Bowles when he was with the Jets and saying that if I was going to be there he wanted me to be me and do that at a high level. I can’t say enough about them empowering me and allowing me to do that. I’m having fun playing football again and that’s when I’m at my best.” Mayfield is looking to bring his best to Raymond James Stadium in what is lining up as an entertaining primetime Monday Night Football matchup with the Eagles. When he is standing in the tunnel with his guys, his teammates who fully believe in him, what will he be thinking about before running out before a full crowd? Eisen posed this question, and here was Mayfield’s response. “It’s another great opportunity for us to go out and show what we’re capable of,” Mayfield said. “Like I said earlier, a lot of people doubted us from the very beginning. And here we are in the playoffs now going up against a good opponent. Do it the best we can, handle it the best we can, and have fun while doing it. That’s when this Bucs team plays their best.” Watch Baker Mayfield Talking Wild Card Matchup With Rich Eisen In his nearly 11-minute interview on The Rich Eisen Show, Baker Mayfield had plenty to say about how this season has gone with the Bucs, the upcoming playoff matchup with the Eagles, Mike Evans, his previous playoff experience with the Browns, and more. Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/-Caef6gAE ... ure=oembed
The post Bucs QB Baker Mayfield Talks Eagles Matchup With Rich Eisen appeared first on Pewter Report.

Source: https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-qb-ba ... ich-eisen/