What Has The Bucs Offense Been Missing Lately?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

What Has The Bucs Offense Been Missing Lately?

Looking at Tampa Bay through a glass half full lens, the Bucs are division champions for the third time in a row, having won five of their last six and are hosting a home postseason game against a team that has lost five of the last six games. But if we’re looking glass half empty as it pertains to the Bucs’ offense, that unit doesn’t look like a playoff team. With two opportunities to punch a ticket into the postseason, Tampa Bay’s offense hasn’t exactly shown up to play. They’ve scored two touchdowns in their last two games and punched it in the end zone in just one out of their last eight quarters. Those each occurred in the fourth quarter in Week 17 against the Saints in which the Bucs were scrambling to just attempt to make it close. ImageBucs QB Baker Mayfield – Photo by: USA Today Just chalk it up to a bad game, right? Well, in an attempt to rebound with another chance to win their division, the Bucs did not score a touchdown in Week 18 against the two-win Panthers, and didn’t really come close. Luckily, the defense pitched a shutout and the Bucs won 9-0 to take the NFC South. There’s a number of different reasons as to why the Bucs haven’t moved the ball successfully as of late. Baker Mayfield’s rib and ankle injury could be one of them. A lacking run game mixed with inconsistent pass blocking could be another. Mayfield had his own ideas as well. Bucs Leaders Try To Pinpoint Offense’s Recent Issues ImageBucs WR Mike Evans – Photo by: Cliff Welch/PR “I’ve got to take the easy completions early on, keep us ahead of the chains, get us going,” Bucs quarterback Baker Mayfield said. “Between the Saints game and the Carolina game, their fronts are really good against the rush. We ran the ball when we needed to with six minutes left in the game. That’s big-time. We’ve just got to get going early and start fast, where we can mix up our different plays.” Offensive coordinator Dave Canales also admitted that the offense didn’t have its best showing, but he’s not putting it on Mayfield. Overall execution has been the difference between great games against the Packers and Jaguars and some clunkers with the Saints and Panthers. “The plan is to just get back into our rhythm of our pass game – we’ve been kind of hit-and-miss the last couple of week,” Canales said. “Again, playing division opponents is rough. Whether it’s the Saints, the Falcons, or the Panthers, they’ve done a fantastic job of playing against us. Getting another chance to play the Eagles is something we’re excited about, with a different approach to how we play the game and what we’ve become over the course of the season.” Big Game For Bucs Wide Receivers ImageBucs WR Chris Godwin – Photo by: USA Today This rematch between the Bucs and Eagles should look different than their first meeting in Week 3. There’s a lot more on the line and each unit has different looks. The Eagles secondary has taken a major step back and has been the leading cause for why the team has been a slump. Bucs wide receiver Mike Evans talked about playing against a group that’s struggling, but said it’s no different to him based on how every defense game plans for him. “The team keeps it in mind,” Evans said. “But for a player like me, I don’t because I’m going to see a lot of coverage regardless. It’s always like that. We play a team that gives up a lot of yards, when they’re playing against our team there’s going to be a safety over the top, somebody helping somewhere. I just got to come with it. Be as fresh as possible and play hard throughout the game.” It’s no surprise that the Bucs will try to take advantage of this and get Evans and Chris Godwin involved. It’s just how they do it is going to be different on Monday. “We’ve evolved so much,” Godwin said. “Just going through an entire season, figuring out who you are, going through the ups and downs of a season, you know, things have changed in a lot of ways. So, I’m excited about the opportunity, but at the same time, they’ve changed as well. “Surely, they’re going to come into the game with a different game plan and plan to attack us in a different way. Obviously, we have already played this year, but things will be different this week.” The post What Has The Bucs Offense Been Missing Lately? appeared first on Pewter Report.

Source: https://www.pewterreport.com/what-has-t ... ng-lately/