What Has Dave Canales Learned From Todd Bowles?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

What Has Dave Canales Learned From Todd Bowles?

Bucs offensive coordinator Dave Canales will be the first guy to give others credit for his success. Whether it’s the players he’s coaching, the coaches that he’s worked for or worked with, Canales loves to spread the accolades like Baker Mayfield enjoys getting everyone involved in the passing game. Week in and week out someone ends up asking Dave Canales about his old coach Pete Carroll. You’ll also hear him from time to time share a story about other coordinators that taught him a lesson. That’s was made it a special moment when Dave Canales got emotional last week discussing that he wanted to do right by Bucs head coach Todd Bowles and the whole organization. We’ve heard Bowles talk about Canales often, but Dave Canales doesn’t always get the opportunity to talk about the man who hired him. ImageBucs HC Todd Bowles and OC Dave Canales – Photo by: Cliff Welch/PR This season has been an ordeal of twists and turns at every chapter for Tampa Bay. They went from 3-1 going into the bye, to an exhausting four game losing streak that escalated to losing six out of seven. But through all of that they’ve now won four in a row and can clinch the NFC South before they even play their last game of the season. There was a time when everything looked bleak at 4-7. Now it all looks beautiful at 8-7. Bowles deserves tons of credit for getting his team through the mud when they were losing, keeping everybody together and getting out on the other side while also playing their best football. That’s a big point for Dave Canales about Todd Bowles. “Are you trying to get me to cry again up here? That was a one-time deal, okay? We got it out for the year [laughs],” Canales joked in reference to his previous emotional state. “I think I’ve talked about this before with Coach Bowles, is his consistency. I think that I’ve just watched him – with the ebbs and flows of the season, the roller coaster that this season has been – to watch him just be steady and to be the same guy with the same message to the team, same message to the staff, the same belief. “Even through that four-game losing streak, for him to talk to the guys after the games in the locker room and say, ‘Guys, if this was an effort problem, I’d be really concerned, but you guys are playing so hard,’ and just reaffirming the good parts of what our group means and the character of this team. “He kept reaffirming those things and saying, ‘However, we’ve got to work on these fundamental things,’ and just going right to it, attacking it, showing it in front of the team so that everybody is accountable to it – coaches included. We all have our things to work on. He just kept it about those things, he didn’t make it about these bigger stories or anything like that. He kept it about the ball and that’s what I really appreciate about him.” Dave Canales Can Be Part Of Bucs History  ImageBucs QB Baker Mayfield and OC Dave Canales – Photo by: Cliff Welch/PR Consistency can also be applied to how Dave Canales has gone through this season. The run game struggled heavily in the beginning of the season, but has found it’s groove over the past month. Questions surmounted about the production of wide receiver Chris Godwin as well, but he’s been fantastic over the last two games. Running back Rachaad White is 127 rushing yards away and Godwin is 108 receiving yards from each reaching 1,000 yards in their respective categories. Mike Evans has already eclipsed that benchmark (for the 10th straight season), so if White and Godwin can achieve this as well, it would be the first time in Bucs’ history that they’ve two-1,000 yard receivers and a 1,000 yard rusher in the same season. Outside of those players, who would be responsible for that? Dave Canales. He spoke about what that would mean to him. ImageBucs RB Rachaad White – Photo by: Cliff Welch/PR “I think it just speaks to the balance of what we’re trying to build here,” Canales said. “From the first press conference – it’s this attacking style of offense that has a run game that’s viable, that has play-action plays that come off of it, the screens that come off of it, and then the timing and rhythm of the pass game. It’s taken us all season to really get the whole thing working on all cylinders. I think that it’s really cool. “Again, for me, I just want to build something that we can be proud of. That’s where my heart is, to say that we’re not a laughing stock – we’re not out here just throwing the ball around and doing those things or searching for the next big play. It’s something that we can hang our hat on, to say, ‘This is our system, this is how we do things, and here’s all the stuff that comes off of it.’ We’re continuing to expand, even now, as we solidify some of the things that we want to be consistent for us.” Canales is excited about where the Bucs are at right now, but also where they are going they can go later this season with continued improvement. “There [are] plays off of plays that are starting to come alive for us,” Canales said. “To have that kind of productivity coming out of the quarterback, the skill players that we’re trying to get going – to make the focal point of the offense – means that we’re doing a great job of putting them in a spot to be successful.” The post What Has Dave Canales Learned From Todd Bowles? appeared first on Pewter Report.

Source: https://www.pewterreport.com/what-dave- ... dd-bowles/