Bucs Offense Was Rolling, Gets “Signature Win” vs. Packers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Discussion Forum
max

Bucs Offense Was Rolling, Gets “Signature Win” vs. Packers

It was Packers head coach Matt LaFleur who summed it up best at his press conference after the game – “Baker [Mayfield] went out and shredded us.” Bucs quarterback Baker Mayfield had his best game of the season and one the best of his career, and a lot of things were clicking on offense for Tampa Bay in a stunning, 34-20 win at Lambeau Field. It was a victory that allowed the Bucs to maintain their lead in the NFC South with a 7-7 record. Chris Godwin finally got involved. Mike Evans was Mike Evans. Other guys like Rachaad White, David Moore, and Cade Otton all stepped up in the passing game. With that, all signs point to the offense taking the next leap forward under offensive coordinator Dave Canales. “The Other Guys” Stepped Up At Lambeau Field ImageBucs WR David Moore – Photo by: USA Today No, not the 2010 comedy film starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. The other guys in the Bucs’ passing game. While it’s often “The Mike Evans Show” with Chris Godwin as his costar, some other peacocks were able to fly against the Packers. Bucs head coach Todd Bowles discussed at his press conference how big that was. “It’s huge for us, Bowles said. “Not putting all the pressure on two guys, and that’s opening up things for other guys and they’re starting to come through and we’re playing great team football in December.” Baker Mayfield was able to find his other options with great success. He picked apart the Packers’ secondary and finished the game completing 22-of-28 passes for 381 yards and four touchdown passes. In fact, he is the only quarterback besides Aaron Rodgers to ever record a perfect 158.3 passer rating at Lambeau Field. A lot of that can be credited to those other guys coming through. Rachaad White had two catches longer than 20 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown catch in the third quarter. Both of Cade Otton’s catches on the day went for 22 yards apiece. David Moore had a close call on his big play, but his 52-yard touchdown stood and was the final blow. What did Mayfield have to say about how he was able to distribute the ball more effectively? ImageBucs QB Baker Mayfield – Photo by: USA Today “Guys just being in the right spots,” Mayfield said. “I’ve said to this group – talked to pretty consistently – that the coverage will dictate where the ball goes. Guys being in the right spot on time is a big difference, so our guys did that today and that’s why you saw the distribution like that.” Throughout the season, it has been Baker Mayfield being “gritty,” as wide receiver Chris Godwin said after the game, that has gotten Tampa Bay into the win column. It is not always pretty, but he finds ways to win and he brings a lot to this Bucs team. “He’s meant everything,” Bowles added about his quarterback. “From a mental standpoint to a quarterback standpoint, making plays. From a toughness standpoint. From a leadership standpoint. He’s done everything. He’s checked all the boxes. He’s doing all the right things now and I can’t say enough about him.” Bucs OC Dave Canales Deserves Credit, Too ImageBucs QB Baker Mayfield and OC Dave Canales – Photo by: Cliff Welch/PR Baker Mayfield played great. Many of the offensive weapons stood out and were key to victory – and so was the offensive coordinator. For as much flak as Dave Canales has gotten at times this season, his play-calling Sunday afternoon deserves a lot of credit. Canales schemed up plenty of plays to get Chris Godwin involved and Godwin had 10 catches for 155 yards on the day. His play calls caught Green Bay off-guard more often than not. From timely run calls that set up advantageous situations to dial up screens and passing plays up the middle, pretty much everything went right for the Bucs’ offense. Mayfield agrees and sees progress being made late in the regular season. “Unbelievable,” Mayfield said of the game Canales called. “Obviously, the linemen want to run the ball a little bit more but when you’re having explosive passes like that. We ran the ball when we needed to late in the game so proud of that, but Dave called an unbelievable game. Set up some things, did different looks to make it happen so yeah, we’re getting better and that’s what we need this time of year.” Bucs’ Offense Was “Really Rolling” Don’t look now, but the Bucs are rolling. With three straight wins getting them back to .500 at 7-7, Tampa Bay maintains its grip hold on the NFC South and continues its march forward to playoff football. How has their recent play been able to turn the corner? “Sense of urgency,” Baker Mayfield said. “There’s no room for error at this point so like we talk about, doing little things right. You don’t have to do anything too special, do the little things right. Can’t have those simple, stupid mistakes that cost teams games so yeah, we didn’t have that today.” ImageBucs RB Rachaad White – Photo by: USA Today Running back Rachaad White also offered his assessment of the team’s offensive performance. White continues to play an integral role and had 139 scrimmage yards on Sunday. He is also getting ever closer to ending the team’s 1,000-yard rusher drought. “We were just making the plays,” White said. “The linemen did a good job of protecting and holding up. Actually, I don’t even remember them if they blitzed us today at all. It was just a good balance, mixing up the run, mixing up this. “When you’re not blitzing, sometimes they had to bring the safety down and play one high. Chris, Mike, Trey, D-Mo, DT, everybody, they are all just eating out there, and you know Cade. It just shows a lot. Coaches did a great job of dialing it up and we did a great job of executing today.” The Bucs were able to come out with a win, and while right tackle Luke Goedeke wants a few plays back, he thought the offense was clicking. “On offense, I feel like we were really rolling,” Goedeke said. “There is definitely still some stuff we have to clean up. Whether it’s just in the pass game or run game. I mean me personally I had a few pass plays that I want back, but at the end of the day we came out with a win.” While Todd Bowles did not call it a signature win, Goedeke thinks it could be considered as much. Heading into hostile territory, Tampa Bay was able to beat a Packers team with recent big wins and looking more like a playoff contender themselves. “I believe this would be considered a signature win,” Goedeke added. “Us and the Packers, I know we were both kind of fighting for that playoff spot. Green Bay is a great team, they beat Detroit a few weeks ago at Detroit, beat the Chiefs. They’re a great team so just to have this win, it feels great.” The post Bucs Offense Was Rolling, Gets “Signature Win” vs. Packers appeared first on Pewter Report.

Source: https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-offen ... n-packers/