This is why Dez Bryant texted Sean Payton during the NFL draft

Denver Broncos Discussion Forum
Badfinger

This is why Dez Bryant texted Sean Payton during the NFL draft

Denver Broncos head coach Sean Payton went into Day 3 of the 2024 NFL draft hoping to select Oregon wide receiver Troy Franklin. Before he went to bed on Friday night, Payton got a text message at 11:30 p.m. from a former NFL receiver telling him to draft Franklin on Saturday. “I got a text out of the blue from Dez Bryant,” Payton said after trading up to select Franklin on Saturday. “I am brushing my teeth. I hear the phone buzz, look over and he is like ‘Coach, you really need…’ and he was preaching to the choir. The irony of that text at that time. I said listen I agree with you. I think I said, ‘I like him at the line of scrimmage.’” Bryant teased the conversation with Payton on his Twitter/X page.  I texted coach Payton last night about a player I’ll love to see him Draft

We both agreed on what we liked about him

Let’s see if the broncos make it happen tomorrow

It’s only right!— Dez Bryant (@DezBryant) April 27, 2024 After the Broncos picked Franklin, Bryant returned to Twitter on Saturday for a victory lap.  Troy Franklin is the player I was talking to coach Payton about a couple of days ago

Great to see it come alive

Looking forward to watching Bo Nix and Troy Franklin Ball together!! https://t.co/rQrBS1VPFf pic.twitter.com/crmxSDQk7C— Dez Bryant (@DezBryant) April 27, 2024 Bryant shared a screenshot of his text history with Payton that showed the coach had messaged Bryant three times in 2020 asking about quarterback Jordan Love, who was entering the draft that year. “[Y]ou go back, and he was texting me about Jordan Love years ago,” Payton said. “This was right after the end of the season; we had not started watching film yet. I am glad we did not just keep going back further. At the very end of Dez’s career, he came to [the Saints] for a tryout and ruptured his Achilles heel. I had his number still saved and I do not know if I was saved as ‘C’ for Coach but he had mine. I appreciated his insight last night, but it was kind of a coincidence [that he suggested the pick].” Bryant certainly wasn’t the only former player who approved of the Broncos reuniting Nix and Franklin in Denver. 

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... -franklin/