The Longhorn Files: Linebacker & Defensive Back

Buffalo Bills Discussion Forum
Bills4Life

The Longhorn Files: Linebacker & Defensive Back

Now that we’ve covered wide receiver and the trenches, it is time to speak on a couple of positions that have been considered an afterthought on the defense. The Buffalo Bills have bonafide starters at both linebacker and defensive back. However, the depth at those positions is lean in some respects. Linebackers Matt Milano and Terrel Bernard are both returning from lower body injuries, but there is some uncertainty about the players behind them — namely Nicholas Morrow and Baylon Spector. I am confident, though, that Dorian Williams will be able to fill in nicely, but there is still more left to be desired from the depth. At outside cornerback, the Buffalo Bills are also set at the top. CBs Rasul Douglas and Christian Benford will inevitably be the starters, but Kaiir Elam is still relatively unproven, and DB Cam Lewis is stuck in “limbo” between safety and cornerback. Buffalo brought back S Taylor Rapp and signed S Mike Edwards, but there are questions as to how the rest of the safety position will be filled. The linebacker and defensive back depth has been tested health-wise in the past three seasons, so I am anticipating that the Bills will target these two positions sometime on Day 3 of the draft.  Texas has churned out duos of wide receivers and defensive tackles in this draft, but there has not been much talk about the pair of linebackers that are eligible. LBs Jaylan Ford and Jett Bush are slated to be selected in either the mid-to-late rounds or in post-draft free agency, and there is potential for either of them to be brought in for a depth role. I will also discuss DB Ryan Watts, who is another projected late rounder. LB Jaylan Ford ImageUniversity of Texas Athletics The NFL world is not talking very much about Jaylan Ford. But that might be a good thing for a team like the Buffalo Bills, who may look to snag him in the later rounds. In his four seasons at Texas, he started in 29 games, mostly at middle linebacker, and played an integral part to the Longhorns’ defense in both the 2022 and 2023 seasons.  Ford would add some size to the Bills linebacker room. He is 6’2” and 240 pounds, whereas the average weight of the Bills’ linebacker corps is 225 pounds! Ford is a stout run defender in the backfield. He totaled 20.5 tackles for loss in his final two seasons at Texas, and 220 tackles all-together. There are some concerns about his change of direction, as well as his tackling technique. Yet he was a big playmaker for the Longhorns, nonetheless. In his final two seasons — it bears repeating because he did so well in that span of time — he had six interceptions, four forced fumbles, and three fumbles recovered! 
There’s no denying that he was a productive player. He was even a semi-finalist for the Dick Butkus award in 2023. However, he is still projected to go on Day 3. LB Jett Bush ImageUniversity of Texas Athletics While Jaylan Ford had plenty of starting experience at Texas, Jett Bush served as a depth linebacker. He played in 58 games (with six starts) in his five seasons there. Most of his snaps in 2023 actually came on the D-line on passing downs, and on special teams. I can’t say I’m as familiar with his game as I am with Ford. However, Bush had what was probably the most memorable moment of the season: he returned an interception off of a Texas Tech running back’s foot for a touchdown! Jett explained what had happened in an interview. He would be a lovely addition to the Bills’ linebacker depth chart as an undrafted free agent. DB Ryan Watts ImageUniversity of Texas Athletics Ryan Watts is likely due for a switch to safety as he heads to the NFL. In coverage, he is not as well equipped to play in man to man as he is in zone. However, even as a cornerback, I noticed how incredibly well he tackled, especially as a run defender. He only had one missed tackle in 2023. Watts did have a couple of injuries in the 2023 season, which caused him to miss a few games. In Week 5 versus the Jayhawks, he suffered a hamstring injury, and in Week 12 he suffered a back injury. Ryan Watts’ injury history, as well as his supposed shift to safety, may drop him throughout Day 3. I would be pleased if the Buffalo Bills decided to bring Watts in as a developmental safety prospect with positional flexibility at outside cornerback. Conclusion I am exhausted from the mock drafts and the endless talk about what the Bills do and do not need. Rest assured, we are here! The NFL Draft has finally arrived after months of waiting. I cannot guarantee that the Bills will be selecting a player or players from the University of Texas. But I can say that there are some prospects that would be worth looking into. My favorite players from UT for the Bills are both wide receivers: Adonai Mitchell and Jordan Whittington. I believe they would make a great impact for Buffalo if given the chance. Hopefully you enjoyed this series as much as I did. Until next time — Hook ‘Em! Featured Image Credit: University of Texas Athletics The post The Longhorn Files: Linebacker & Defensive Back appeared first on Buffalo Fanatics.

https://thebuffalofanatics.com/the-long ... sive-back/