Bears News; Matt Eberflus will learn his fate as Bears head coach this week

Latest news on the Chicago Bears
Ditka
Site Admin

Bears News; Matt Eberflus will learn his fate as Bears head coach this week

The Chicago Bears’ 2023 season ended exactly as it started — with a brutal loss to the Green Bay Packers. And the 2024 offseason could start with some changes at important positions. While we won’t know quarterback Justin Fields’ fate until later this offseason, it sounds like we’ll know whether Matt Eberflus will be back with the Bears this week. Following Sunday’s brutal 17-9 loss to the Packers, Eberflus wouldn’t answer questions about his job status. But he expressed confidence going into meetings with Bears management, which will happen midweek. Eberflus said Monday he and general manager Ryan Poles will meet with players for 10 minutes each for exit interviews. It’ll give the players an opportunity to express what they liked and didn’t like about all facets of the organization — including coaching. Eberflus’ tenure has been marred by back-to-back losing seasons, where his team has blown fourth-quarter leads and failed to live up to expectations. He’s gone 10-24 as Chicago’s head coach, which include franchise-worst losing streaks of consecutive losses (14) and home losses (10). Eberflus was asked if he believes he has done enough to return next season as head coach. “I do know this. The foundation has been set,” he told reporters after the game. “The standards are set how we operate. I do know that. I do know the locker room. I do know that for sure. We’re standing on solid ground of hard work, of passion for the game and enthusiasm for the game, and we’re just going to keep working together to build this thing.” Whether Eberflus is around for the Bears to work towards becoming a contender remains to be seen. But it sounds like an answer we should know pretty soon.
Email

Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Bears Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Bears Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

Source: https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/ ... this-week/