Bears-Lions: Stock up, stock down

Chicago Bears Discussion Forum
TheFan
Site Admin

Bears-Lions: Stock up, stock down

Image Photo by Todd Rosenberg/Getty Images After a regime-defining win, we’re looking over who is rising and falling on the resurgent Bears. For the first time since weeks 16 and 17 of the 2021 season, the Chicago Bears have won consecutive games. And for the first time since 2019 they have won two straight NFC North games. And it was the Detroit Lions, who are the division leaders. It’s a regime- and future-defining win. It was Justin Fields’ first win in December. The last two games have begun to start a shift in how some are feeling about Chicago’s coaching staff and quarterback. This column has been especially critical of the coaching in particular. While they aren’t on my list this week, they should be commended for staying the course and not losing the players. Now, onto this week’s list. Stock up Justin Fields, QB - It’s not his best game, but he made the big plays when they needed to be made. His total yardage (pass and rush) was the third-highest of the season. And most importantly, he had zero turnovers for just the second time this season. Montez Sweat, DE - This trade was worth it. Sweat has transformed the Bears’ defense. He is a difference-maker for a defensive line that was anemic before his arrival. He had a sack, four QB hits and a pass defense against the Lions. He has at least one sack in three straight games. Jaylon Johnson, CB - Johnson’s next contract might be getting more expensive by the game. He notched his fourth interception Sunday, a career-high. He had another pass break up. Also, according to PFF, he allowed zero catches Sunday. Unreal. Better pay that man soon. Stock down Khalil Herbert, RB - Herbert was supposed to be the feature back this season and he started the year strong. But since his return from injury, he just hasn’t been the same. Now, it looks like his snaps are declining, too. He played 12 snaps (17 percent) on offense Sunday, as D’Onta Foreman played 39 snaps and Roschon Johnson played 20 snaps. Eddie Jackson, S - Maybe this is unfair because of how well Jaquan Brisker played (and he probably should be on the up list this week, but it’s an honorable mention here) but Jackson still isn’t playing like his old self. He also had a personal foul penalty enforced after the Johnson interception. Tyrique Stevenson, CB - Stevenson didn’t have his best game Sunday. He got beat a couple of times by Sam LaPorta and then gave up the touchdown to Josh Reynolds. It wasn’t all bad, but there wasn’t a ton of bad for the Bears this week and I have to fill out my list. Who do you think was up or down this week? Anyone I missed?

Source: https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/ ... il-herbert