Film study: New Bears OL Theo Benedet an intriguing UDFA

Chicago Bears Discussion Forum
MacNasty

Film study: New Bears OL Theo Benedet an intriguing UDFA

Image Bob Frid/UBC Athletics WCG’s lead draft analyst shares his breakdown of the Bears’ undrafted offensive lineman from Canada. The Bears have signed British Columbia offensive lineman Theo Benedet as an undrafted free agent following the 2024 NFL Draft. Though it was his teammate Giovanni Manu — who ended up going in the fourth round to the Lions — who stole the headlines in recent weeks, it was Benedet who stepped into the NFL spotlight first. He earned an invitation to the East-West Shrine Bowl in 2023 and performed quite admirably, but he opted to stay at university for another season. #Bears just signed a dominant Canadian OL as a UDFA in British Columbia’s Theo Benedet.— Jacob Infante (@jacobinfante24) April 28, 2024 Benedet dominated the Canadian college circuit with his play strength and nasty demeanor.

When he gets his hands on you, he’s looking to bury you into the dirt. #Bears pic.twitter.com/WiUu6oSn7a— Jacob Infante (@jacobinfante24) April 28, 2024 Though Benedet played RT at university, I think he’s a guard at the next level.

He’s an effective puller with good body control blocking on the move and a road-paver mentality in the run game. #Bears pic.twitter.com/QZokEBKlyD— Jacob Infante (@jacobinfante24) April 28, 2024 Benedet played at the Shrine Bowl last year but went back to UBC for another season in college.

Here he is against 2023 sixth-round Scott Matlock. He more than held his own athletically and strength-wise against current NFLers. #Bears pic.twitter.com/d0yn5JcQnN— Jacob Infante (@jacobinfante24) April 28, 2024 Benedet is a two-time winner of the J.P. Metras Trophy, which is given to the best down lineman in U Sports (Canada college FB).

Past winners also include David Onyemata, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and Israel Idonije. #Bears pic.twitter.com/qddz0d2R4k— Jacob Infante (@jacobinfante24) April 28, 2024 Here’s Theo Benedet’s RAS score. Fantastic explosiveness, good agility and nice speed.

He has shorter arms for a tackle, so while I have him ranked as a guard, he offers some OL versatility. #Bears pic.twitter.com/f2LuegegAe— Jacob Infante (@jacobinfante24) April 28, 2024 I was worried Theo Benedet would fly under the radar despite a strong Shrine Bowl last year, great testing and an impressive resume.

I had a fringe draftable grade on him, so I’m not surprised he got snagged up quickly. Fun add for the #Bears in UDFA.— Jacob Infante (@jacobinfante24) April 28, 2024

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/ ... film-study