Timberwolves News: Lynx Guard Tiffany Mitchell to Join Athletes Unlimited in 2024

Latest Breaking News on the Minnesota Timberwolves
BlueMoon

Timberwolves News: Lynx Guard Tiffany Mitchell to Join Athletes Unlimited in 2024

Image Photo by Brian Babineau/NBAE via Getty Images Mitchell will join the professional basketball league that will take place from Feb. 19-March 23 in Texas. Additional players joining the league will be announced in the coming weeks. Athletes Unlimited Pro Basketball will return for its third season in 2024, and it will feature a handful of players with ties to the Minnesota Lynx. Lynx guard Tiffany Mitchell is one of 25 players who were announced Wednesday as players signed for Season 3 of the league that began in 2022 and takes place during the WNBA offseason. Athletes Unlimited’s third season will take place from Feb. 29 to March 23, with all games being placed in Fair Park Coliseum in Dallas, Texas. Along with Mitchell, former Lynx players Angel McCoughtry, Odyssey Sims, Evina Westbrook, Lexie Brown and Sydney Colson are also part of the 25-player roster announced by the league. The total number of players will rise to 40 in the coming weeks ahead of games beginning in February. Image Courtesy of Athletes Unlimited 2024 AU Pro Basketball roster Athletes Unlimited provides more opportunities for WNBA and other women’s basketball players to play professionally in the United States rather than playing overseas. It features five weeks of games and sees the teams change weekly with a redraft structure as well as a range of scoring innovations to bring athletes and fans a different version of the game. “We are thrilled to tip off season three of Athletes Unlimited Pro Basketball with such an exciting roster featuring elite talent from across the women’s basketball landscape, and to be back in Dallas, a hotbed of basketball talent and culture,” Athletes Unlimited’s Director of Basketball Megan Perry said in a statement. “Fans will be treated to an exciting brand of basketball as these athletes compete to be crowned the champion.” Mitchell will take part in the league for the first time in 2024, having been on teams overseas during the first two seasons of Athletes Unlimited in 2023 and 2022. Earlier this offseason, Mitchell played in Turkey with Galatasaray before recently joining Rwanda Energy Group (REG) on a short-term deal to play with the club in the 2023 FIBA African Women’s Basketball League in Egypt until Dec. 19. Image Photo by Caean Couto/NBAE via Getty Images In her first season with the Lynx in 2023, Mitchell spent time both in the starting lineup and off the bench, averaging 7.3 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists over 23.1 minutes in 33 games while shooting 40.4% from the field, 28.9% from three and 83.3% from the free throw line. Mitchell will return to Minnesota during the 2024 WNBA season, the final year of her two-year contract that she signed before the 2023 campaign. Along with Mitchell, McCoughtry — who last played in the WNBA in 2022 with the Lynx — will join Athletes Unlimited for the first time in 2024. Westbrook played in the league in 2023, while Sims, Colson and Brown have played in all three Athletes Unlimited seasons since its inception. “I’m super excited to be part of season three. Taking on the role of chairperson of the Player Executive Committee has been a really fun experience for me so far and will continue to prepare me for my future goals in front office work,” said Brown, who is the chair of the AU Pro Basketball Player Executive Committee. “AU Pro Basketball will be the first time I’ve been on the court since July and I can’t wait to compete with and against the amazing players we have on the roster. I can’t say enough how grateful I am to have an opportunity to play in the off-season domestically.”

Source: https://www.canishoopus.com/2023/12/13/ ... eason-wnba