Making the case for the Rockets to draft Bronny James

Houston Rockets Discussion Forum
Charles B

Making the case for the Rockets to draft Bronny James

Image Photo by Jeff Haynes/NBAE via Getty Images In the second round, of course. Let’s establish that this isn’t about luring the big kahuna, aka LeBron Raymone James Sr., but I want him to know that there’s an open invite should he be interested. In total earnest, I’m here to make a case for the Houston Rockets drafting Bronny James in the second round of this year’s NBA Draft, regardless of what his father’s plans are this offseason. I’m willing to bet on the genes and a hard work ethic, so without further ado, let me make my pitch. Draft Profile Height: 6’1.5” Weight: 210lbs Wingspan: 6’7.25” Vertical: 40.5” Bronny Jamęs projects to be an undersized off-ball guard coming into the NBA, quite the contrast from his predecessor. However, what Bronny lacks in size, he makes up for with athleticism. From the outside, he’s drawn comparisons to Gary Payton Jr., De’Anthony Melton and Deuce McBride. While none of these names may jump off the page, it’s important to point out that they’ve proven that they can provide valuable minutes, even in the postseason, as McBride just demonstrated during the New York Knicks’ recent run. Internally, James has likened himself to more household names such as, Jrue Holiday, Derrick White and Davion Mitchell. Those are loftier comparisons, but in each case, the consensus is that James can succeed on the defensive end. Harnessing above-average lateral quickness and an excellent vertical, Bronny is expected to make his bones as a pestering defender, much like the guys listed above. On the flip side, Junior still needs to demonstrate that the opposing team can’t ignore him on the other end. Although he may never be a threat as a primary creator or scorer, what I do admire about Bronny is that he recognizes his limitations, thus playing with a great feel for the game and a high basketball IQ. For the most part, Bronny inherited his father’s innate ability to make the right play with the ball and that should help him fit in as an effective team player. If he can establish himself as a reliable shooter, I’m of the belief that there’s a role for Bronny in the league. Why should the Rockets take a chance on Bronny? With two second-round picks in what’s been deemed a weak draft class, why not? The second-round is honestly a crapshoot once you get to the middle and end of it. There can’t be much downside to taking a flyer on the son of a literal GOAT. Plus, I think there’s the potential for an actual developmental track here for the kid. There’s a solid track record between the Rio Grande Valley Vipers and Houston Rockets of getting under looked guys into the league and while Bronny may be the literal opposite of “under looked”, it’s generally accepted that he’ll have to grind his way into the league no matter what. What Bronny needs most right now is experience, especially coming off the heels of a freshman season cut in half due to cardiac arrest last summer. Had he not had those health issues last year we may be having a different discussion, but it certainly factors into the perception of him given how it impacted his season. The good news is that he’s been cleared by doctors and can proceed with his career, and if he’s determined to forego another year of college, then it’s clear that the G-League is the next best thing. I believe where Bronny would benefit most from being on the Rockets is studying under the tutelage of Fred VanVleet. Of course, there is the Klutch connection between them as both are (will be) represented by the same agency, but I think there’s more to be extracted from that link. In VanVleet, Bronny can learn from a consummate professional and one that also happens to be an undersized guard that also had to grind from the depths of the G-League. I say this recognizing that VanVleet came into the league as the vastly superior playmaker and shotmaker, but I keep thinking back to his Toronto Raptors days where he played a considerable amount off the ball when paired up with Kyle Lowry. A high motor on defense and ability to spread the floor earned him a spot as the backup point guard on what eventually became a championship roster. While their games and paths won’t be the same, there are elements from VanVleet’s experience that could serve as helpful. And if VanVleet isn’t enough evidence that there’s room for another vertically-challenged guard, look no further than Aaron Holiday this past season. For reference, both Holiday and VanVleet are smaller than James, nor as athletic. However, they both had pleasant seasons in Ime Udoka’s system last year. Lack of height might be an obstacle in this league, but it’s not a barrier. Should he improve in the departments that he needs to work on, I can’t see a reason why Bronny can’t make a 15-man roster. Whether you believe it’s nepotism or not – I won’t act like it’s not – Bronny James’ basketball career will ultimately be determined by the work he puts in and how well he’s able to execute. The fact that he’s battled through this much scrutiny at such an early age and has somehow managed to make this an actual conversation is enough for me to want the Rockets to roll the dice on him.

Source: https://www.thedreamshake.com/2024/5/25 ... -james-nba