Monte McNair: Kings are “in position” to take advantage of offseason opportunities

Sacramento Kings Discussion Forum
Kings911

Monte McNair: Kings are “in position” to take advantage of offseason opportunities

Despite an unideal ending to the 2023-24 season with a play-in loss to the New Orleans Pelicans, the Sacramento Kings made encouraging steps internally. General manager Monte McNair reflected on the year and looked ahead to looming offseason questions in Wednesday’s exit interview. After winning 48 games in Mike Brown’s first season as head coach, Sacramento had increased expectations from the fanbase, players, coaching staff, and front office. “We knew they were coming for us, and that’s a great thing,” McNair said. “That’s a great thing for our organization. I’m not as eloquent as Mike Brown, but I think he said, ‘Pressure is a privilege,’ and that’s fantastic. I love that 46 wins and beating Golden State in the play-in is not good enough anymore, and that’s true.”
https://www.youtube.com/embed/8TAX7AxWm ... ure=oembed
Due to their unideal final standings, the Kings have the 13th-best odds in the 2024 NBA Draft lottery. Atlanta is owed that pick, but top-14 protections keep it within Sacramento’s control. McNair would rather be preparing for game two in Oklahoma City (meaning the Hawks would own the pick) but referred to gaining that asset as a “silver lining.” “We’re excited so far about what we’ll see at 13,” he said. “At the same time, could it be used in a trade to improve the team? Of course. We’ll have to look at all those things and weigh those options.” Sacramento’s front office clearly believes in their flexibility moving forward, intending to capitalize on any opportunities that may present themselves. Outside of internal improvements, the three offseason paths to improvement are the draft, free agency, and trades. “For us, I think it’s putting ourselves in a position that we can take advantage of those opportunities (to improve) when they come, and I think we’re in a position to do that,” McNair said. Sacramento’s front office will need to find ways to continue trending upwards in a highly competitive Western Conference that doesn’t project to get any easier next season. That may take some tough decisions, as it has in the past when they traded Tyrese Haliburton to Indiana for Domantas Sabonis. Listen to the full press Monte McNair press conference on Sactown Sports YouTube or using the link above. Offseason schedule for Monte McNair and the Sacramento Kings
  • Sunday, May 12 – NBA Draft Lottery
  • Wednesday, June 26-Thursday, June 27th – 2024 NBA Draft
  • Sunday, June 30th – Free Agent negotiating window opens (3 PM PST)
  • Saturday, July 6th – Free Agents can officially sign contracts
  • July 12-22nd – Las Vegas Summer League
  • July 27-August 11th – 2024 Olympic Games
  • Friday, September 27th – NBA training camps begin
Thank you for reading SactownSports.com. Follow us on Twitter and Google News, and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Source: https://sactownsports.com/monte-mcnair- ... rtunities/