Jazz News: A couple plays I’d like to see the Jazz incorporate next season

Latest Breaking News on the Utah Jazz
SLCBlues

Jazz News: A couple plays I’d like to see the Jazz incorporate next season

Image Photo by Harry How/Getty Images The more X’s and O’s I learn the more I love the game For the past few weeks, I’ve been watching Lebron James and JJ Redick’s new podcast Mind the Game. This podcast is chuck full of X’s and O’s with a lot of fascinating discussion between two incredible basketball minds. The more I watch, the more I get excited about different schemes I see while watching playoff basketball. This got me thinking about the Jazz and their current scheme. Will Hardy seems to be an X’s and O’s genius when it comes to offensive schemes. With that said, I would love to see the Jazz run a few different plays on both sides of the ball. I think it’s important for me to acknowledge that I didn’t even make it to the 2nd day of 9th-grade basketball tryouts. Will Hardy has forgotten more about basketball than I’ve ever known. However, I do watch a lot of basketball and I take pride in knowing some X’s and O’s. Play #1 More of an action than a play, I’d love to see Lauri post up in the high post more. Setting Lauri up in the free throw line will allow a lot of plays to go through Lauri. As Lauri posts up high we can run Keyonte and other shooters off different screens to free them up. If Lauri wants to take another leap that leap can come from more playmaking and more shot-making in general, the high post could be that for Lauri. *think Chet Holmgren and how the Thunder run plays with and for him out of the high post. Re-watching every single Chet Holmgren shot attempt and I am so excited. The high post and DHO wrinkles Mark Daigneault can add with Chet and SGA are going to be fun. pic.twitter.com/ANy02Tq5D2— Rylan Stiles (@Rylan_Stiles) July 10, 2022 Play #2 The 1-3-1 zone could be a fun zone variant the Jazz might consider in the future. This zone isn’t very popular nowadays but it’s a really good way to showcase some defensive talent. The Celtics have run some funky 2-3 zones recently where Jrue Holiday sits in the middle like an NFL free safety. Think of a universe where Kris Dunn is at the top of a 1-3-1 zone and Taylor Hendricks runs the bottom of the zone switching all around and using his length to disrupt the paint and defend the rim. More needs to be said about how the Celtics play Jrue Holiday at center in 2-3 zone, w/ him responsible for all cutters, and then morph into man when the ball breaks the free throw line.

This is something, wow. pic.twitter.com/E40tBXqEcI— Caitlin Cooper (@C2_Cooper) January 7, 2024 Play #3 The inverted pick and roll, this very basic play is so simple. It’s just the guard setting the screen for the big, think Keyonte George setting the screen for Lauri Markkanen. This play can open up a million different actions, Keyonte can slip and run into an action. Keyonte can also set the screen and then pop off the pick for a three or Lauri can beat his man off the dribble and get a nice drive into the lane with a smaller player on him. *Look at how Nneka gets the switch to a smaller guard and immediately attacks to the rim. It's such an advantage to have a big like Nneka Ogwumike who can run an inverted pick-and-roll as the ball handler. The Sparks really missed her down the stretch last night. pic.twitter.com/Jan7bQ5is1— Sabreena Merchant (@sabreenajm) September 2, 2019 Play #4 Flex screens for Taylor Hendricks and Lauri Markkanen when they have smaller players on them. Flex screens allow a player to get screened right before entering the very low post. Both Hendricks and Lauri have some meat on their bone, they can utilize this by taking a flex screen down low and putting a smaller player in the hoop. Anthony Davis is really good at taking advantage of this, Lauri and Taylor aren’t AD big, but they can score out of this play for sure. *Chris Oliver does a great job of explaining how the flex screen works in this post. If you run corner action, this is an important concept. Traditionally down screens are set, but setting a flex screen can be used to attack a switch or distort the defensive coverage. Good example from Denver #NBAPlayoffs pic.twitter.com/ugYmOp6cGo— Chris Oliver (@BBallImmersion) May 12, 2019 Conclusion I love basketball, I am so grateful for all the wonderful podcasts, YouTube videos, and websites that are out there discussing the intricacies of the game. If you’re interested in knowing more about the game there’s some former players that are great at discussing the game like JJ Redick. There’s also multiple former video coordinators on teams that have turned to media like Steve Jones Jr. and Mo Dakhil. Here’s a couple links you can check out if you’d like to learn more. Links: Hoopstudent.com The dunker spot on YouTube: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpeGCCkfwemUZR0BjTWx95q2MQzNDY6s_&si=Do-PzhrgCGBSyJTz Mo Dakhil on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/modakhil_nba

Source: https://www.slcdunk.com/2024/4/29/24145 ... ext-season
Jazz Gear On Sale - Save up to 70%
Jazz Game Tickets - Lowest Prices, No fees.
Officially Licensed Jazz Memorabilia on Sale
Visit All Our Forums - Over 160 Sports Forums