Altman strikes optimistic tone about Mitchell’s future in Cleveland

Cleveland Cavaliers Discussion Forum.
ClevelandDog

Altman strikes optimistic tone about Mitchell’s future in Cleveland

Image Photo by Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE via Getty Images Altman said his exit interview was Mitchell was positive. At his end of season media available, Cleveland Cavaliers president of basketball operations Koby Altman said that, while the team can’t talk to Donovan Mitchell about an extension until July, he said Mitchell is “excited” about the future of the Cavs. Overall, Altman’s tone surrounding Mitchell’s future was optimistic than anything else. “One, we can’t talk to Donovan now about the contract until July,” Altman said. “I’ll say that my exit interview with him was really good in that he was talking about the future and how excited he was about the team, the organization. This is a player that has had two of the best years of his career here, has had a lot of success here, understands the infrastructure, I think has a lot of trust in what we’re doing and understands that our goal is to win a championship. And again, when we’re talking to him about the future here, getting his feedback, it’s all about, ‘How do we make this thing better? How do we achieve this together? How do we win in the future?’ And so, I take those as very positive things. From his own words, he says he’s happy here, he likes it here. He’s always been very genuine. He’s always been very intentional. He’s been a great teammate, and we have to take all that at face value and say, ‘Okay, we feel good about where we are with Donovan.’ Obviously things could change. In terms of his contract future, it’s nothing we can talk about until July.” He also said that expects (and would welcome) Mitchell’s input on the roster as the Cavs look to improve it this summer. “So, last summer, he had a lot of influence in terms of how much he helped us recruit free agents to be here,” Altman said. “Listen, you’ve talked to him. He’s a highly intellectual basketball junkie, and so I would love to have some of his input in terms of what we want to do in the future. And yeah, I absolutely would love his feedback in how we continue to build this thing. I think he’s been very influential in helping us land some free agents. That conversation will come for sure.” Mitchell, who has not spoken publicly since the season ended, is eligible to sign a four-year, $208.5 million extension when free agency opens. Recent reporting indicates that the Cavs are growing more optimistic that Mitchell will sign said extension.

Source: https://www.fearthesword.com/2024/5/24/ ... -cleveland