Sixers' Tyrese Maxey learns from Damian Lillard, Steph Curry

Latest breaking news on the Philadelphia 76ers
76ers Since 74

Sixers' Tyrese Maxey learns from Damian Lillard, Steph Curry

PHILADELPHIA — Young Philadelphia 76ers guard Tyrese Maxey continues to take strides on the floor. He is averaging 26.1 points and 6.7 assists while handling the responsibilities of being the No. 2 scorer next to Joel Embiid and running the offense as the point guard. A big key to Maxey’s success on the floor is his volume 3-point shooting. He is not afraid to pull the trigger on an open look. He is averaging 8.3 attempts per game and knocking them down at a 40% clip. That type of production is a huge key to the success of this group. Maxey works maniacally at his game at a high level, but he is also a student of the game. He knows there are great examples of players who shoot 3-pointers at a high volume, such as Damian Lillard and Steph Curry, to watch and learn from. “Yeah,” Maxey began. “It’s a few. Just off the top of my head, Dame and Steph are guys who shoot a lot. Anfernee Simons is a guy who can shoot off the pocket pull-up 3s. I watch a lot of that. Just hunting those 3s because it helps us. It makes the defender come up. Especially, Joel’s man.” In Wednesday’s win over the Minnesota Timberwolves, Maxey scored 15 of his 35 points in the fourth quarter. He attempted five triples, making two of them in big moments. That forced the Wolves to change their defensive scheme when it came to trying to stop Embiid. “They can’t drop and just play drop, drop, drop coverage,” Maxey added. “So I’m able to just shoot those 3s off the dribble so it just makes them run on me and I can get easier pocket passes to big fella.” Maxey is already a talented player, but for the Sixers to take the leap they expect, they need him to continue learning. Watching guys such as Lillard and Curry is a good start. Tobias Harris, Sixers describe what a Nick Nurse practice entailsNBA Power Rankings: Timberwolves, Celtics battle for the top spotNick Nurse discusses what he likes about Sixers forward KJ Martin
Email

Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Sixers Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Sixers Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

Source: https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2023/12 ... eph-curry/
76ers Gear On Sale - Save up to 70%
76ers Game Tickets - Lowest Prices, No fees
Licensed 76ers Memorabilia on Sale
Over 160 Sports Forums - NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football