Sixers dissect their crunch time offense after home loss to Cavaliers

Latest breaking news on the Philadelphia 76ers
76ers Since 74

Sixers dissect their crunch time offense after home loss to Cavaliers

PHILADELPHIA–The Philadelphia 76ers had plenty of chances down the stretch both in regulation and in overtime in a 122-119 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers at home on Tuesday. It was an overall tough loss, but the Sixers had their chances down the stretch. Philadelphia’s offense generated a lot of good looks in the fourth quarter, but shots wouldn’t drop on Tuesday. The Sixers shot 42.9% from the floor in the fourth and 1-for-7 from deep. Coach Nick Nurse drew up a play for Joel Embiid with the game tied at 110 late in regulation. The big fella then pulled up for a mid-range jumper over Cavaliers big man Tristan Thompson that just rolled off which forced the overtime session. “I wanted him to have the ball and, obviously, take the shot if it was one-on-one and if it wasn’t, we had some movement,” Nurse explained. “We had some cutters. We told them to keep their eyes up in case the double team came and he would make the right play and it was a one-on-one play and a pretty good shot.” They then shot 4-for-11 from the floor and 1-for-5 from deep in overtime. With Philadelphia trailing Cleveland 120-119, Embiid had the ball at the top of the key and handed it off to Tyrese Maxey who had a head full of steam going toward the rim. He missed the layup while Embiid’s tip just rolled off the rim. It resulted in the Cavs then clinching the game at the line. “We actually killed it for the most part pretty well,” said Maxey. “I think down one, we got some great looks. Coach Nurse drew up a star play, I missed a wide-open layup. We got the ball in big fella’s hands to end the game. He missed a shot that he normally makes. I think we did a pretty good job executing down the stretch.” The Sixers got the shots they wanted for the most part. A lot of the looks down the stretch from Embiid, Maxey, Tobias Harris, and others, but they weren’t able to execute. “We got to where we want to get to,” Maxey added. “Made shots. Scored the ball. I think we didn’t come up with a lot of loose balls today. Our bigs was fighting down there, to box out (Jarrett) Allen and (Evan) Mobley. Us as guards, myself, (De’Anthony) Melt, we should’ve dug up a little bit more of those loose balls, but we weren’t able to.” Nick Nurse discusses managing Joel Embiid, Sixers vs. TimberwolvesJoel Embiid, Sixers not happy with lack of physicality in loss to CavsNick Nurse, Sixers disappointed about in-season tournament results
Email

Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Sixers Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Sixers Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

Source: https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2023/11 ... cavaliers/
76ers Gear On Sale - Save up to 70%
76ers Game Tickets - Lowest Prices, No fees
Licensed 76ers Memorabilia on Sale
Over 160 Sports Forums - NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football