Robert Covington talks relationship with Joel Embiid in return to Sixers

Latest breaking news on the Philadelphia 76ers
76ers Since 74

Robert Covington talks relationship with Joel Embiid in return to Sixers

CAMDEN, N.J. — The Philadelphia 76ers pulled off a big move in the wee hours of Halloween morning by sending James Harden to the Los Angeles Clippers. In return, the Sixers received a familiar face. Robert Covington, who played 297 games across five seasons with the Sixers, makes his return to Philadelphia a bit older and wiser. Now 32 years old, he is looking to help the Sixers get over the hump alongside old friend Joel Embiid. When Covington was with the Sixers, Embiid was a young player finding his way. Though dominant in 2018, Embiid is now the MVP of the league, and Covington isn’t surprised. “The same development that I’ve seen since he first stepped on the court with me,” said Covington. “He still has that same work ethic, same demeanor, same dominance. It’s just now that he’s gotten years under his belt, he’s become assertive in so many more ways. His presence on the floor is going to create so many open looks for other people. Joel is a top-tier player in this league — MVP.” There are not many bigs in the league like Embiid. The big fella has led the league in scoring two seasons in a row, and he can take a game over in the blink of an eye. “He has the opportunity to continue to evolve his game,” Covington added of Embiid. “There’s not many bigs that can move like him, shoot like him, and just do a little bit of different. There’s only a few of them.” After the Sixers traded Covington to the Minnesota Timberwolves early in the 2018-19 season, he and Embiid kept a close relationship. When he walked into the gym in his return to Philadelphia, Embiid started his classic trash talk with him. “Joel talked (expletive), per usual,” Covington laughed. “He’s always been himself. He’s a (expletive)-talker. He comes in, had that grin on his face, and was like, ‘You ready to make some shots?’ First thing. Me and Joel, even though I’ve been away, we still have had a close relationship.” After the Harden saga has officially come to an end, the Sixers will now look to move on and welcome new pieces, and a familiar face, back within the rotation. Philadelphia 76ers 2023-24 City Edition jersey, how to buySixers vs. Raptors game preview: Lineups, how to watch, broadcast infoFormer Sixer PJ Tucker goes scoreless off the bench in Clippers debut
Email

Sign up Like this article? Sign up for the Sixers Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning An error has occured Please re-enter your email address. Thanks for signing up! You'll now receive the top Sixers Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

Source: https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2023/11 ... to-sixers/
76ers Gear On Sale - Save up to 70%
76ers Game Tickets - Lowest Prices, No fees
Licensed 76ers Memorabilia on Sale
Over 160 Sports Forums - NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football